24V Brewery Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SankePankey

Reaction score
I am looking for a 24V brewery pump. What do you think of this one?

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=7202112

12GPM is a little much for a whirlpool right(?), so I would electrically speed reduce it, but what do you think?

It does high temp (200F, that's enough). And I believe a Viton seal is OK.

It ain't a mag drive. I did think there were some 24V March pumps out there.

I need something more like 2-4 GPM I believe. It also serves as a mash recirc pump so it cant run like a bat out of hell and it has to be one speed for both uses.

IIRC, you're not supposed to electrically limit some brands of pumps, rather, use a valve on the out side to control flow. It's worth asking them if it's OK.

The dude says it's OK, but I'll ask another 3 people since I know how often the dude is wrong.

Your tip I have seen in conjunction with AC March pumps, etc., but the 24V sump pump on my brewery is electrically speed reduced and that's the one I'm replacing. This pump is the most similar to it in stainless that I've found.

I dont think you can have too much flow for a whirlpool unless you are whirlpooling it out of the tank. I have 12 gpm pumps and love them.

I would say that if you are going to want to recirculate your mash you are going to want to have a pump with a lesser flow. Too powerful a pump could lead to a stuck Mash if you are using a false bottom. IIRC Pickles was using an Iwaki pump with that type of flow and the suction caused his grain bed to be compacted.

My current Mash recirc is @ 1.6 GPM. Little slow for my whirlpool, but it still works OK. It's a slow whirl, but I still get wort agitation. I'm thinking that ~3.5 GPM would be good for both mash and whirl. I can get from 212 to 140 in 8 mins by just stirring the chiller (50' 3/8" SS for 15 gal wort). My chiller pump is @ 5 GPM. Same sump pump, but one is electrically throttled down.

I don't care to have a point-of-no-return event horizon in my BK, I just want a bit better chill time (and use the same pump for my mash).

Do you think thats a good flow rate?

And, no one sees any issues based on the product description?

Thx everyone.

Back