2020 FotD Secret Santa Beer Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 710503Drove in the $hitty weather to get a special release tonight at our county’s first/oldest brewery. Some for me and some for my secret Santa gift.
Pro tip for SiliPints -- Don't use them with sours. 😳

We had them as our designated "pool glasses" for a trip to VT a few years back. The first two days we used them for IPAs and they were great being rinsed with just water. The third day we used them for a mango sour, and I swear to god everything afterwards tasted like mango with a hit of butyric acid on the nose. Dishwasher fixed it all, though!

Due to the lack of a selection process, for this round I am recommending your gift consist of up to 128 fl.oz. of beer and one non-beer item (t-shirt, hat, glassware, tap handle, beer-scented soap - whatever you think your giftee wants/could use the most!)

FAQ:

What should be in a box?
Up to
128 fl.oz. of beer and one non-beer item (e.g. t-shirt, flannel, hat, drip tray, glassware, etc.).
Yea that’s becoming a problem
I’m sor....................ry?

We had them as our designated "pool glasses" for a trip to VT a few years back. The first two days we used them for IPAs and they were great being rinsed with just water. The third day we used them for a mango sour, and I swear to god everything afterwards tasted like mango with a hit of butyric acid on the nose. Dishwasher fixed it all, though!
Thanks for the heads up Thorrak! Never thought of that but I could see that being an issue without a good cleaning.

Narrowed the prospective list down by one. Kinda bummed I don’t get one of your glasses
What makes you so sure? You won’t know till you receive your box. If I happen not to be your secret Santa you now how to reach out. 😉😉

What's he gonna do when we over ship? Make them send the beer back, bwahahahahaha!!
E1882A71-A086-4AD6-AF4B-1D961EB3D39C.gif

I might be a bad Santa... 🤷🏾‍♂️

Speaking as a guy who is new to these (this will be my second, after the FotD): When I read something like "up to 128 oz" that's what I follow. Yeah, I mean if I get nine or ten cans, I'll be thinking "bonus", but I'll also be thinking I screwed up by following the rules, ya know? So, if you follow the rules/suggestions, you really end up helping keep this from growing into something insane and frankly not sustainable for some folks.

I know I got a shipper that holds 8 x 16 oz beers. That's what my giftee is getting (on top of a cool shipping box and a t-shirt maybe.) I'll try not to feel like I lost a d*ck size competition. :)

Speaking as a guy who is new to these (this will be my second, after the FotD): When I read something like "up to 128 oz" that's what I follow. Yeah, I mean if I get nine or ten cans, I'll be thinking "bonus", but I'll also be thinking I screwed up by following the rules, ya know? So, if you follow the rules/suggestions, you really end up helping keep this from growing into something insane and frankly not sustainable for some folks.

I know I got a shipper that holds 8 x 16 oz beers. That's what my giftee is getting (on top of a cool shipping box and a t-shirt maybe.) I'll try not to feel like I lost a d*ck size competition. :)
If what I’ve learned from all these amazing shares is that beer costs are different all over the US. Sometime my boxes are larger than others, sometimes smaller, some of my beers are $2 some $10. I just try to create a random box for someone else to enjoy. The only time I’ve ever been upset is when a can bursts during shipping and I didn’t get to try it. No d!ck measuring contests here.
If someone gets upset about beer they’re in the wrong group. 😜😜

@Thorrak

last year, people posted pics upon receipt of the beer. Are we doing that again or waiting until the list is distributed so everyone is surprised with their SS?
Might as well post pics as you get them. I highly doubt that anyone (other than me) is keeping a running list of who has/hasn't been confirmed as shipped/received. 🤣

Yeah maybe it's the wrong term - I guess I just mean as a new guy coming in, I feel like I'm doing it wrong if I don't ignore the rules.
The reality is we are all giving @Thorrak a hard time and we generally follow the rule. Sometimes you find the coolest stuff or just cant decide between a few so you send them all. Everyone receives beer and is very happy about it, the budget or quantity isn't the game but I understand that feeling. Do what you are comfortable with, we will all enjoy it!

The reality is we are all giving @Thorrak a hard time and we generally follow the rule. Sometimes you find the coolest stuff or just cant decide between a few so you send them all. Everyone receives beer and is very happy about it, the budget or quantity isn't the game but I understand that feeling. Do what you are comfortable with, we will all enjoy it!

<3 Next time I am shipping beer your way, I'll make sure to add some extra love to the selection.

6AA24589-EDA2-4959-94A4-B0F97515C080.jpeg
Beers are vacuum sealed and about to be boxed up. Now let’s see how long they sit in my cold garage or beer fridge (if the box fits) till they get shipped. The extra goodies (whatever that may be) needs to be wrapped too. 😉😉
Happy New Years fellas!!

Update - as of 3:30pm UPS has my box. Santa is delivering!

Last edited:
I'm going to have to do the same thing with a separate box for a glass and stickers etc. I'll be shipping mine out next week because Orlando beer week just started so there's going to be a ton of new releases I can pick up.

I just ordered some b cups from fermented reality hopefully I won't have the same problem.

Those are made of the clear, hard plastic, right? I think they'll probably be OK. The issue we had was with the silicone being so soft.
Ahh gotcha, and yes they are. My buddy got some and I really liked them. So, I ordered me a variety pack of two of each one. They make them for lagers, stouts, ipas, and sours.

Yeah maybe it's the wrong term - I guess I just mean as a new guy coming in, I feel like I'm doing it wrong if I don't ignore the rules.

20210104_142800.jpg

Personally I use the group as an excuse when I load the wife and dog into the truck and drive halfway across the state to some tiny brewery no one has ever heard of. "These 9 cases are for the trade honey. Gotta get that new new stuff or no one will ever pick me." I wouldn't want to be a liar now would I? 😜

View attachment 713078

Personally I use the group as an excuse when I load the wife and dog into the truck and drive halfway across the state to some tiny brewery no one has ever heard of. "These 9 cases are for the trade honey. Gotta get that new new stuff or no one will ever pick me." I wouldn't want to be a liar now would I? 😜
Sounds about right! I'm the same way I at least admit my problem and let her know what's up LOL

I was SO sure I'd be the first to ship. Not so much. :)
I don’t like to sit on beer that needs to ship. Either I drink it and then have to get more beer to replace it. Or I keep adding to the group of beer going out. This is b/c I buy beer here and there and toss a can or bottle into the shipping section in my fridge. If that happens I think it makes @Thorrak twitch uncontrollably. 😂

Back