2017 Citra Hops...Can’t find any

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
So it is time for me to stock my inventory and am looking for 2017 Citra hops. I have looked around on the interwebs and can’t find any. Is there a reason? Am I too late? All other varieties are available.

Yakima Valley Hops still had 8oz bags available last I looked. (this morning)

I looked in the description but it said 2016

I did not see "2016" in the description (still don't) and the bag that showed up has a lot number from the 2017 harvest.
btw, when it comes to Citra, it's pretty darned rare to have a retailer holding inventory for 15-16 months from harvest.
Too many folks want it for any to survive that long ;)

Cheers!

I did not see "2016" in the description (still don't) and the bag that showed up has a lot number from the 2017 harvest.
btw, when it comes to Citra, it's pretty darned rare to have a retailer holding inventory for 15-16 months from harvest.
Too many folks want it for any to survive that long ;)

Cheers!

Maybe it’s the mobile??? Or else I would have ordered from them. I had great success with the 4 lbs of hops I got last year.

D6E5C679-FE9B-47C7-97D1-40D2A9465648.png

Too many folks want it for any to survive that long

However the same dynamic means that retailers can safely buy a bit more than they think they need, because they know they can sell full-price 2016 at this time of year of the fashionable varieties, whereas too much 2016 of less fashionable ones will end up getting discounted. Given the way that there have been reports of oniony Citra in recent weeks that could be tied to the 2017 harvest, it could be argued that 2016 Citra is a safer bet...

It's only in the last couple of weeks that 2017's have really hit the main British retailers - and there's still some major gaps, like all the Mosaic is still 2016, ditto Ahtanum, Centennial, Ekuanot, Simcoe and Sorachi. All fairly fashionable varieties that they know they should be able to shift.

Latest posts

Back