2015 Minnesota Mashout Opens Tomorrow! (Formerly Upper Mississippi Mashout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most likely. Ive never entered in a competition before. I am just curious what other people who "know" things think of it.

But I do think its a solid RIS. I'm pretty happy with it.

Judging happens late January and entries are due Dec 31st. So there's still some time to get a quick brew in and bottle by the due date.

Great comp. I will probably try to send some.... not sure what I will have on hand. Been brewing a lot of hoppy beers lately - so, APA, IPA, Amber are possibilities - although, I generally avoid those categories. I have a couple session IPA's that I don't know if they will fit anywhere. A porter should be ready.....

Got a Bo-pils that needs some diagnosing - could send that to get some thoughts.

I have a hopbursted APA with Topaz and Cascade fermenting right now. I'm hoping I can bottle it by the end of the month.

Also probably gonna enter my Dark Mild (slight variation of Jamil's).

Should a Rhubarb Cider go into 28B or 28D?

I'm glad they changed the name from Upper Mississippi to Minnesota because by the time water from my area reaches St. Paul, it has already travelled about 1/3 of its way to the Gulf. Maybe they should have named it Middle Mississippi first.:p

I'm glad they changed the name from Upper Mississippi to Minnesota because by the time water from my area reaches St. Paul, it has already travelled about 1/3 of its way to the Gulf. Maybe they should have named it Middle Mississippi first.:p

The headwaters are in Itasca and its 2,320 miles long. It's got a lot more than 2/3 of the way to go after it leaves Minnesota.

Wish my toasted flaked rye stout was ready, carbonating very very slowly. Would be cool to enter it into 13B but I don't want to enter something thats still green or with almost 0 carbonation (I'm cussing myself out right now for trying to keep the carbonation very very low to get an English-y creaminess). The scottish wee-heavy I have going won't be ready till end of Feburary at best :( , and my ESB came out too dry and probably 5ish SRM too dark (still really delicious, big EKG and Fuggle aroma/flavors, but roasty dry, instead of caramelly hoppy).

Actually now that I am thiniking about it I could go ahead and enter my Plum BDSA. I'm very fragile though I haven't entered anything into competitions yet (informal club tastings have tried my beers and the other members have liked them).

The headwaters are in Itasca and its 2,320 miles long. It's got a lot more than 2/3 of the way to go after it leaves Minnesota.

You're right, it's not 1/3 of its distance but at South St. Paul it has gone 833 miles already of its 2320 miles. That's more than 1/3th of its length and it is still in Minnesota.

You're right, it's not 1/3 of its distance but at South St. Paul it has gone 833 miles already of its 2320 miles. That's more than 1/3th of its length and it is still in Minnesota.

I stand corrected....:(

It's a very winding river. Maps are deceiving. It still has so many states to go through.

I know what you mean. I live in the cities, but grew up on the range.

I get the same way when people say "I'm heading up north for the weekend" and they mean Forest Lake.....

Entering this one for the first time this year. I've heard only great things about this comp, so hopefully my beers show well. Smoked Porter and a Dark American Lager going in.

I just entered a Pale, Brown and a Mild...fingers crossed. FYI everyone, I received an email from them a couple days ago saying they already hit about half of their entry limit. So it's filling up fast. I had registered and had unpaid entries, so I assume that's how I got on the notification list.

Get those entries in and paid if you want a spot.

I just entered a Pale, Brown and a Mild...fingers crossed. FYI everyone, I received an email from them a couple days ago saying they already hit about half of their entry limit. So it's filling up fast. I had registered and had unpaid entries, so I assume that's how I got on the notification list.

Get those entries in and paid if you want a spot.

That's exactly why I paid up my registration yesterday.

I'm sending in an American Brown and a Belgian Pale

Thanks for the heads up, gives me more time to build up credit with the chairwoman of the house so I can attend.

I'm submitting like 7 entries... (Been brewing a lot lately for various parties and such..) :mug:

I found it weird that they didn't require you to submit ingredients list? Any idea why?

I'm submitting like 7 entries... (Been brewing a lot lately for various parties and such..) :mug:

I found it weird that they didn't require you to submit ingredients list? Any idea why?

Because the judges never look at an ingredients list when tasting your beer and there is almost no reason they would ever need your recipe. Very few comps (and none of the big ones besides NHC Final that I know of) require recipes. Usually, about the only reason there is ever a need for a recipe is if a local brewpub offers to scale up one of the winning styles..... even then, they can get the recipe afterwards.

Besides, submitting recipes for every entry is a giant PITA, so thankfully few comps want to deal with them either.

Because the judges never look at an ingredients list when tasting your beer and there is almost no reason they would ever need your recipe. Very few comps (and none of the big ones besides NHC Final that I know of) require recipes. Usually, about the only reason there is ever a need for a recipe is if a local brewpub offers to scale up one of the winning styles..... even then, they can get the recipe afterwards.

Besides, submitting recipes for every entry is a giant PITA, so thankfully few comps want to deal with them either.

I agree, it is a pain to have to submit every little detail. This is the first comp I've seen that didn't require it, from all the ones I've entered so far... but that makes sense since most of the comps I've entered the grand prize was a scale up.

Got 1st and 2nd in the US Light beer category and got 3rd in the Double IPA category! :mug:

Wow - great showing. That is a huge comp with a ton of really good brewers entering beer.

I had a Porter place 2nd. I was thinking that one was my best chance. Had an Ordinary Bitter that I thought had a chance too, but it did not place. A couple others I knew were probably longer shot and more or less just looking for some feedback on them as they are recipe's I am still playing around with.

Wow - great showing. That is a huge comp with a ton of really good brewers entering beer.

I had a Porter place 2nd. I was thinking that one was my best chance. Had an Ordinary Bitter that I thought had a chance too, but it did not place. A couple others I knew were probably longer shot and more or less just looking for some feedback on them as they are recipe's I am still playing around with.

Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised haha. Especially the double ipa category, I feel like that would be tough to place in! Nice job on the porter! I had a porter too that I thought would do well, but didn't place. I am eager to get all my scoresheets back and tweak recipes accordingly. I love the constructive feedback haha.

I was going to steward at the comp but I ended up going to the beer dabbler instead :drunk:

Anybody know when we can expect the score sheets?

I emailed them but I didn't get a reply. I check the results email and they stated "scoresheets will be mailed out shorty". So I suspect sometime next week.

Anyone know how many entries there were this year?

I am guessing they were close to their normal 1000 entries. If I remember correctly, they have always been very efficient about getting results out pretty quickly. Generally, if you have results in your hands in less than 2 weeks, you are talking about a very well run competition..... especially one of this size.

I am guessing they were close to their normal 1000 entries. If I remember correctly, they have always been very efficient about getting results out pretty quickly. Generally, if you have results in your hands in less than 2 weeks, you are talking about a very well run competition..... especially one of this size.

Good to know, thanks!

Mine came in the mail today. I got a 33 on my lone entry, an RIS. I now have good critique to help me dial it in next time I brew it. The comments pointed out that hop aroma was muted and there was some astringency. I need to work on water chemistry.

But I'm pleased overall.

Latest posts

Back