2013 HBT Fantasy Baseball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

We're entering our fourth season of HBT fantasy baseball. We've had some good success with returning members, and the league is currently full.

The draft date is set for Sunday, March 24th at 9pm.

If anyone knows of someone who won't be returning this year, please let me know so I can open a slot to a new owner.

Not sure about y'all, but I'm really looking forward to baseball season.

So excited!

Please tell me that I am not the only person watching the World Baseball Classic and enjoying it, too?!

As for our fantasy league here are some trade offers in anticipation for the draft.

Ian Kinsler for an 8th round pick (this is a steal! all of the ranking sites have him as a top 2 or 3 2B)
Adrian Beltre for a 9th round pick
CJ Wilson for an 11th round pick

I am also willing to trade any or all of the above for keepers.

Dave

Just checked. There are a bunch of people who haven't set their keepers. Check into your team and set your keepers by draft day. You're able to select seven players from last year's roster to carry over into this season.

Regarding the draft order, we went by previous season's record, in reverse order, correct?

Our scores tend to be pretty high. How about lowering the points evenly by dropping the points for pitching wins and losses from 10/-10 to 5/-5.

Thoughts?

Awesome news everyone.

Spoke with TxBrew earlier today, and the winner of the league this year will win a free year membership to HBT along with a set of pint glasses.

Thanks to TxBrew and HBT for the support!

I would LOVE to change the pitching points for Wins and Losses. If you want a good argument for it, check out my post in the early pages of last years thread!

The biggest thing we should focus on besides this, right now, is making sure the draft timer is short enough to be reasonable. I vote for no more than 60 seconds! If you can't make a pick in that amount of time, then set up auto draft.

Also, good job on the "sponsership" Johnny!

Dave

Edit: Here is my post from prior to last season:
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=mlbdk2k12pointsstrategypitchers

I was looking through the scoring a little bit ago and felt that 10 pts is a lot for Wins. This article really sums up why I feel that way.

Fantasy Baseball more than any other sport is about individual statistics. Why, then, are we putting so much emphasis on a team statistic that has been all but rendered null by baseball fans/media (see Felix Hernandez, Cy Young 2010: Record of 13-12), Front Offices, etc?

Some key points for those that don't want to read it all:

A pitcher who wins his game while allowing two runs in seven innings is going to give you in the neighborhood of 30 points, with a potential second start later in the week that could easily double that number. Last season, from April 11 through April 17, Troy Tulowitzki had four home runs, eight RBIs and a .606 OBP. By way of comparison, that stellar week, one that most hitters will never approach, was worth "only" 49 points.

The new "five-point win" changes the game a bit, but in terms of comparing pitchers to each other, it doesn't make that big of an impact. You still want pitchers who have the best chance at winning when they take the mound.

Note that the article and the quotes are relevant from the 2011 season as it was a pre 2012 article. However the relevance remains.

I also agree on the shorter draft timer. 60 seconds is sufficient to make a draft choice and to ensure the draft ends within a reasonable amount of time.

I'm definitely for a 60 second draft timer. I'll make that change unless someone really objects (and sends me some Pliny).

Bosoxdave, thanks for that info and comparison. I'll be preparing to adjust the W/L scoring to 5/-5 this week as well. Unless I hear major objection by Friday, I'll make that change.

Why am I scheduled for 12 of 12 in the draft order? While I finished 1st in the regular season, I believe that I came in 3rd overall.

Last I checked they don't award the World Series to the best regular season record. :)

Dave

Anyone out there use the iPhone app for this league? I can't figure out how to make any team actions using it, i.e. setting keepers, etc.

Why am I scheduled for 12 of 12 in the draft order? While I finished 1st in the regular season, I believe that I came in 3rd overall.

Last I checked they don't award the World Series to the best regular season record. :)

Dave

Dave,

You answered your own question.

Dave,

You answered your own question.

Actually I didn't. The question, which you have to read between the lines for, is: Why is the draft order set on regular season standings when we have playoffs? The answer to which is that is just the way the league has been run, which is fine.

Guidry said:
Anyone out there use the iPhone app for this league? I can't figure out how to make any team actions using it, i.e. setting keepers, etc.

I can't even download the app because it isn't available in the UK AppStore. I wish I could because I'd be more able to keep up to date.

jump_xiii said:
I can't even download the app because it isn't available in the UK AppStore. I wish I could because I'd be more able to keep up to date.

I tell a lie- last season it wasn't, I've just downloaded it now so will try to play with it later. I need to set my keepers and auto draft settings as I'm away all weekend on a bachelor party.

Yeah, I wish you could do the draft from there, but I don't think that's an option.

In addition to W/L for pitching, I adjusted the point totals for Saves (4), Blown Saves (-2) and Holds (2).

The draft timer has been adjusted to 60 seconds per pick.

Currently, four teams have not yet selected Keepers. Othon, DRS, Carson and Guidry, get on it.

Oh, and BTW, draft is tomorrow night. 9pm EST.

Last minute trade offers!

CJ Wilson for an 12th round pick

Make me an offer!

There are some steals here.

Dave

Edit: Kinsler and Beltre are gone! Johnny, can you push through the trades so that they are ready before the draft (there should be 3 draft pick based trades right now)?

Thanks,
Dave

Actually I didn't. The question, which you have to read between the lines for, is: Why is the draft order set on regular season standings when we have playoffs? The answer to which is that is just the way the league has been run, which is fine.

You answered your own question again, this time in a more detailed fashion. Sorry for being a smartass, but you seem to have figured it out on your own. Good luck to everyone in the draft!

You answered your own question again, this time in a more detailed fashion. Sorry for being a smartass, but you seem to have figured it out on your own. Good luck to everyone in the draft!

Are you the assistant league commissioner? Can you push through the trades? I feel like I need to adjust the trades as I may have too many draft picks and my trade partners not enough draft picks. But I can't adjust it until these are complete.

Thanks,
Dave

So how's everyone feeling with their teams? I know that the last minute trade pick was a debacle, and I regret approving the transaction now as it looks as though we may have lost an owner.

I'm a little anxious as I may have gotten a little prospect-happy. Anyone interested in a preseason trade for a prospect?

I don't think that you should blame yourself for the situation. You approved the trade with what appeared to be plenty of time, you just couldn't predict that ESPN would affect the ability to set keepers the way that it did. Your approval was over 1.5 hours before the keeper deadline, it stood to reason that there was plenty of time for the trade to be fine.

Still, though, the situation sucks and I feel bad for both the Sluggers and Guidry.

I may be interested in a trade, what are you looking to get and who are you willing to send?

Dave

When do FA claims become possible? Right now, all available players appear as waiver claims.

I believe the waiver period ends tomorrow. If you go to the player tab, it should tell you.

You shouldn't feel bad Johnny. I know losing an owner sucks, but I'm sure someone her will take his team over if you make it available.

The situation could have been easily avoided, this is true. But its not your fault.

Fairly pleased with my draft- again I had to auto draft, and I think that's probably better for me than trying to go it alone! Last time I was a bit over zealous with specifying positions for my auto draft, this year I just let it do it's thing and have come out ok. Can't wait for opening day now.

Because of the trade/draft snafu, there were two open slots on the STLS team. I went and added Kyle Lohse and Rick Porcello to the team.

Figured it's best to have the new owner come in to a full squad.

If we have any HBT members looking for a fantasy baseball team, get in touch on here.

Food a new owner for the team. WildGingerBrewing will be taking over STLS. Team will be renamed to Eff Yu Darvish lol.

Back