2011 Hops Crop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyCB

Reaction score
When will the 2011 crop of hops start to show up in brew stores? Should I postpone ordering hops until the new crop starts to be available (are the 2010 supplies I'm likely to get from an online supplier likely to be inferior/bad at this point)?

Thanks,

Anthony

Some of the hops producers/sellers are saying that they will be available for individual retail consumers 10/1/11. For sure you will see them in the next month. Why buy one year old hops when you can get fresh?

Puterbaugh Farms (Hops Direct) has their new crop on their site, saying that they're to be released on October 5. Woohoo!

I was at a new LHBS that opened in my area a bit ago, but I had not made it in yet. I went on monday, and the guy said that he had both leaf and pellet hops from this years harvest, and that he had already sold out of all of the leaf hops from this year that he had received so far.

I don't know this guy or this shop at all, but I am skeptical of this information, since other places I've seen (ie freshops.com) are not yet selling anything from 2011 (especially pellets, which in my experience are usually a bit behind the leaf hops comming out). He said he was getting it from Hop Union, and that they have enough land and equipment now to get things dried, packaged, even pelletized and to market very quickly.

Anyone know if this is potentially accurate?

JG

Back