2 yeast ferment for a memomel? Pros/Cons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a mead that has been fermenting in primary via lalbin 71b-1122 for only a week now. I plan to eventually make it a raspberry melomel. Reading up on yeasts that are good for mead, I came across MT dry wine yeast and the taste profile sounds appealing. So here is my question: does anyone have any experience re-pitching a second yeast in primary to get the profile of more than one yeast in the finished product? Should this be limited to just primary ferment, or could I pitch the second yeast (MT) when I racked to fruit, or would that drive off the fruit flavor/aroma thereby nullifying the fruit character? MT will take the alcohol content it seems. Anyone have any experience like this? Any related thoughts would be appreciated. I'm spit balling here....Thanks!

I don't have experience with this, but I would imagine it wouldn't work. Your original yeast has already "colonized" the entire batch, and will completely out compete the new yeast for resources. When you first add yeast to a medium like must, it replicates itself to the point of saturation in the environment based on available resources (sugar and other nutrients), and then starts consuming those resources. There'd theoretically be no more room for a new yeast to grow.

But I guess you could do it. Although how would you even know if it worked? If I were you I'd just start a new batch and use the new yeast on that one. For fun you could make it exactly like your first batch and then compare the two when they're done.

Latest posts

Back