2 week dry hop-soapy taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
I did a Pliny type IPA and dry hopped for 14 days. Never went past 7 before. Kegged the other day. The keg/lines are new and clean. The hefe I have on tap doesn't have this taste. The first few pours were great. Last night I got a big soapy aftertaste. It was only in the primary for 21 days. It did have about 6oz of various dry hops. I seem to be the only one who can taste it. I've read that this should disappear after a couple of weeks chilled. Anyone have experience?

Soapy flavors come from the breakdown of fatty acids, that's what soap is, usually can be attributed to yeast health and poor fermentation practices if I remember correctly. Did you make a starter? OG? What yeast and temp?

Soapy flavors come from the breakdown of fatty acids, that's what soap is, usually can be attributed to yeast health and poor fermentation practices if I remember correctly. Did you make a starter? OG? What yeast and temp?

OG was 1.087. Fermented 2 packs of rehydrated s04 @66. Used 1tsp nutrient. I treat my yeast well. This is my 30th batch and I've never had this problem.

Anyway..I pulled a pint last night and it was good! I think it was just some stuff that had sunk to the bottom of the keg.

m3n00b said:
OG was 1.087. Fermented 2 packs of rehydrated s04 @66. Used 1tsp nutrient. I treat my yeast well. This is my 30th batch and I've never had this problem. Anyway..I pulled a pint last night and it was good! I think it was just some stuff that had sunk to the bottom of the keg.
cool, glad to hear it!

Back