2 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil74501

Reaction score
I want to add some lemons to one of my batches of mead. I racked it last weekend. Should I sanitize the lemons before I add them?

Also, I racked a batch, then racked it again, but it doesn't seem to be clearing. It looks exactly like it did after I racked it the first time. It's a basic recipe, honey, water, yeast, nothing fancy. Any ideas why?

You can add lemon juice. It sounds like you rethinking of whole lemons that you'd be sanitizing. If your mead is finished fermenting the alcohol will prevent an infection.

Some meads remain cloudy for a myriad of factors. Cloudy meads taste as good as clear ones. Some meads like T'ej are supposed to be cloudy. If you must have a clear result you can fine your mead with Bentonite, Sparkolloid or Super Kleer.

It should be finished fermenting. I got a steady G reading on it several times before racking it. I was thinking of slicing lemons, putting them in a bag, then inserting into the carboy. Sanitizing the bag first of course.

The other batch doesn't have to be clear. I just thought it was supposed to clear up.

Lemon ? Don't put them in whole.or chopped as the white pith can impart a bitter flavour.

I'd suggest you get unwaxed lemon, zest the out side and add that, then remove all the pith and inner skin so you just add the flesh........

Latest posts

Back