2 questions - keg and brew kettle related

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguenroll

Reaction score
1. Just got my new kegs. Im wondering if you guys cut the beer line at the bottom to raise it off the bottom. it seems to be right at the bottom.

I may just 2nd ferment to take most of the yeast out, and again at kegging.

2. Got a new 5 gallon stainless steel pot. Are there any issues with over heating and burning the bottom, and the beer at the bottom???
I notice in regular food cooking, some pots are more easily burned than others.

Also does regular stove have trouble heating and boiling 2.5 gallons?

Thanks

1. No, I have never cut any of mine. the first pour may have a little sludge, so i just pour the first 1/2 glass and toss it.
2. No; the liquid won't burn, even at the bottom
3. I can get 2.5 gallons of water boiling on my stove in about 10 minutes. Wort is a little thicker, but will still be no problem for a decent stove

1. I don't cut mine either. Mine have dimples indented in the bottom that the diptube sits in as a collection point and the bottom is also slightly sloped. This means you suck out most of what settles in the keg in the first few ounces of the first pour. Like Lumpher said above, I just pour 4-6 ounces or so for only the very first pour and dump. After that use like normal.

2. Nope.

3. Yes, a regular stove can easily boil 2.5 gallons. Full 5 gallon batches most won't do however, remember a full 5 gallon batch actually starts with more liquid to account for boil off, usually 1.5-2 gallons more.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back