1st Time Kegger: Losing pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Have my Keg at 40 degrees. Threw it in yeaterday at 10psi. Woke up this morning and regulator reads 0. Bump it to 10 again about 2 hours ago, it's at 5.

What's my problem? Leak?

You're not tuning off the CO2 tank are you? Leave it open and your regulator at the set point. As your beer absorbs the CO2 it will need more pressure.

You can check for leaks with a little star sans. I find a lot of leaks are on the kegs. Keg lube is cheap, lasts forever and is easy to use.

Nope. If I turn screw, it will add co2, so it's on.

Mmmmm. Okay, don't be shy with the star sans, or soapy water. Spray it on all the fittings and look for bubbles. Hit the keg top good. Consider disconnecting the gas line and checking the posts really well.

If it's st the regulator most fill stations (fire extinguisher companies) will either comp you or sell you a handful of those little felt washers. That usually will stop that from leaking.

Nope. If I turn screw, it will add co2, so it's on.

If the gauge goes to zero and then you turn the pressure adjustment screw and it goes back up to pressure, it seems like a possible issue with your regulator??

If you had a leak, it should stay at the pressure you set it at until the tank runs out of CO2.

Make sure the tank valve is turned wide open. All the way to the left (counter clockwise) until the valve it stops turning.

Set your regulator on 10psi. Then pull the release valve on your keg to allow the CO2 to escape for 3-5 seconds. While you're pulling the release valve, look at the gauge on the regulator and see if the pressure drops while the valve is being pulled. Then when you let go of the release valve, see if the pressure goes back up to 10psi where you set it originally.

Went down and set regulator to 10, gas went on. I hit release valve and it dropped, then back to 10. Set it to 10 and closed lid. I'll check again in the morn.

Tank calf wide open. Checked lid and posts with star San. No sign of leak.

Sounds like a sticky regulator.

The only other thing I can think of; Your pressure adjustment screw should have a lock nut on it. Next time your set your pressure, tighten down that lock nut so you can be sure the screw isn't some how backing out. I don't know how it would but just trying to cover everything??

Sounds like a sticky regulator.

The only other thing I can think of; Your pressure adjustment screw should have a lock nut on it. Next time your set your pressure, tighten down that lock nut so you can be sure the screw isn't some how backing out. I don't know how it would but just trying to cover everything??

Appreciate the assistance. Went down this morning, down to 0. Set it at 10 and tightened the nut before I left.

I guess I should contact my LHBS where I bought it.

If the gauge goes to zero and then you turn the pressure adjustment screw and it goes back up to pressure, it seems like a possible issue with your regulator??

If you had a leak, it should stay at the pressure you set it at until the tank runs out of CO2.

Make sure the tank valve is turned wide open. All the way to the left (counter clockwise) until the valve it stops turning.

Set your regulator on 10psi. Then pull the release valve on your keg to allow the CO2 to escape for 3-5 seconds. While you're pulling the release valve, look at the gauge on the regulator and see if the pressure drops while the valve is being pulled. Then when you let go of the release valve, see if the pressure goes back up to 10psi where you set it originally.

I think this is it. Set it at 10 this morning, came home, it was on 7. Set to 12 at 5pm, now slowly creeping to 10. I pulled release valve for one quick blast from 12 to 7, and nothing...C02 did not come on to push it up.

I think this is it. Set it at 10 this morning, came home, it was on 7. Set to 12 at 5pm, now slowly creeping to 10. I pulled release valve for one quick blast from 12 to 7, and nothing...C02 did not come on to push it up.

Glad we were able to diagnose it. Not sure who you bought it from but hopefully they'll make good and exchange it for you. Good luck! :mug:

So did you get that regulator replaced and did that fix your drop in pressure??

Back