1st Time and is primary transfer necessary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannnick

Reaction score
Ive been brewing for 5 years now and this is my first attempt at a sour. I decided I wanted to do a Flanders Brown. These oud bruins are my favorite. I used the Roselare yeast and pitched right in. My problem is I never got around to transferring off the primary yeast cake.

Now stop, do not let this make you think this is the type of brewer I am. Not in any way. I am very meticulous with the grav levels and cold crashing and what not. But for some reason with this, I said let it do it's thing.

So I have done a lot of reading and concluded that eventually the wild creatures will eat the dead and autolyzed yeast as fuel. Will this give any off flavor in the beer if it is going to sit for 1.5 to 2 years, and maybe be blended? After 5.5 months it is starting to acquire a very, very subtle la folie lactic bite. (This is the first time tasting as well, it has been sitting in a nice corner.)

When would I add fruit to this, and then when would I add oak to it? Thanks for the help.

Back