1st starter concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I put 650 ml of water in my pot. I added 1/2 cup of DME. I boiled it for 15 minutes. When I transferred it to my 1L flask and added my yeast, the volume is now like 450 ml. Did I really lose 200 ml of fluid to boiling for 15 minutes? Where did all the liquid go?

Totally possible. Considering surface area and extended boil time. I would boil for 10 mins, I bet that will get you closer to your desired volume, and in a narrower pot if you can. 1o mins is plenty to sanitize the wort

You can always add water back after the boil... just make sure it's boiled water. This is what I used to do when I made a yeast starter. Now I know how much to expect to boil off and I just start with that much extra. It's not a big deal if the gravity of your yeast starter is a few points off one way or the other.

I woke up this morning to a mild amount of krausen atop the yeast starter so I assume it's fermenting now. Knowing that, should I continue to give the flask a swirl now and again to continue to add O2 or, since it appears to be fermenting, should I just let it sit and do its thing? I do NOT have a stir plate, but don't want to oxidize the starter.

Yes, you can shake or swirl your starter, no need to worry about oxidation, you are intentionally adding O2 to help boost yeast growth

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After I typed that, I figured I was okay swirling up the starter - that's just the "poor man's stir plate" in effect, I suppose :)

Back