1st Cider - but it got really sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Cinders tend to be dry and sour young. Add some apple juice to your glass when you drink it or let it age for a few months.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I just tried my 1st batch of cider but it got super sour. Is that normal? How can I tone it down?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Home Brew mobile app
i often hear this but i have personally never had this issue… what is your recipe. what kind of juice did you use?

Sounds like you got some acetic acid bacteria in there. My first batch was the same. Tasted like a sour warhead. Make sure you properly sterilize next time.

Sounds like you got some acetic acid bacteria in there. My first batch was the same. Tasted like a sour warhead. Make sure you properly sterilize next time.

I like mine dry and tart. That's not really an infection, or a bad thing... is it? MMmMmMmMmm, sour warheads. :D

acetic acid is also the main compound of vinegar so if it were that it would have a vinegar taste as well.. did you use malic acid?

Was the packet designed for 5-gallons? Sounds like you are heading towards vinegar (as others have said)

My first cider last spring was super sour. I used unpasteurized cider with wlp 775. I did a similar cider with wlp 775 same cider but used camden tablets and it wasn't nearly as tart. I figure it could have been some of the wild yeast or bacteria.

Back