1st Brew in 10years ! ..Boy things have changed !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BigBear

Reaction score
So :D yes its been 10 years. Actually brewed my first batch in '94.
Happily surprised with all the new science and new 'stuff' we old and young homebrewers now have ! -wine thief - auto-siphon!- star-san! etc ! wow.
Lots of awesome changes.!! thanks ! :ban:

So, brewed last Friday 25th.
Strong Brown Ale.
6 lb Amber
3 lbs Golden light LME
10 oz R Barley / 10 oz Crystal / 5 Flacked
12.5 corn Sugar
3 oz Fuggle.
(Recipe is from my friend→ 'owner' of Brewery in town)

2 Nottingham y packs due above amounts- (suggested by HB Store in town)

Used my R/O water vs soft water.. saved up what I thought was enough for 5 gals....but. uggh- barely got 4.5 total gallons in the bucket.!!

so
O.G. was ~.076
Fermentation blasted off and was done (well.. no bubbles) within 72 hrs.

F.G. was ~.020

Math tells me that's roughly about a 7.4% 'er. (that right?)

Ideas? and Questions -

Opened up to check F. G. -
Items still moving and floating up and around in wort...
Krausen just on sides of bucket-
Smelled and tasted v 'alcohol' strong and even had a hint of mild carbonation..
No off , pungent odors..TG !

so I just sealed it back up after sanitizing good and tasting hydrometer tube.

I'm gunna wait and NOT touch it (secondary it) which seems to be the new trend, where as years ago everyone went to a Carboy after primary.

Is there a huge problem with only getting 4.5 gals in primary ? I assume only higher abv and less bottles is a consequence. No?

Other than that any input on what I've done is appreciated.

Awesome our hobby has taken off and there is so much on the www to watch and talk about.
Years ago it was a monthly 'brew newspaper' :rockin: that was it !

Thxs
BigBear

Welcome back my friend. I don't have any advice as I have only been brewing for a year, but I can only imagine the changes that have occurred over the past ten years. I love this hobby and am excited every time I learn something new.

Have fun and welcome back once again.

1BigBear said:
I'm gunna wait and NOT touch it (secondary it) which seems to be the new trend, where as years ago everyone went to a Carboy after primary. Is there a huge problem with only getting 4.5 gals in primary ? I assume only higher abv and less bottles is a consequence. No? Other than that any input on what I've done is appreciated. Awesome our hobby has taken off and there is so much on the www to watch and talk about. Years ago it was a monthly 'brew newspaper' :rockin: that was it ! Thxs BigBear

The "secondary" can still be a carboy. It just typically refers to a phase in fermentation, getting it off the trub and letting it clear up in any kind of container (carboy or fermentation bucket) which there is plenty of debate on here on whether it necessary/worth it.

As far as the 4.5g, I believe it will have higher abv but may also be just a tad different in other ways. Since .5g missing then it would be similar to upping all your ingredients by 10%.

So :D yes its been 10 years. Actually brewed my first batch in '94.
Happily surprised with all the new science and new 'stuff' we old and young homebrewers now have ! -wine thief - auto-siphon!- star-san! etc ! wow.
Lots of awesome changes.!! thanks !
:ban:

So, brewed last Friday 25th.
Strong Brown Ale.
6 lb Amber
3 lbs Golden light LME
10 oz R Barley / 10 oz Crystal / 5 Flacked
12.5 corn Sugar
3 oz Fuggle.
(Recipe is from my friend→ 'owner' of Brewery in town)

2 Nottingham y packs due above amounts- (suggested by HB Store in town)

Used my R/O water vs soft water.. saved up what I thought was enough for 5 gals....but. uggh- barely got 4.5 total gallons in the bucket.!!

so
O.G. was ~.076
Fermentation blasted off and was done (well.. no bubbles) within 72 hrs.

F.G. was ~.020

Math tells me that's roughly about a 7.4% 'er. (that right?)

Ideas? and Questions -

Opened up to check F. G. -
Items still moving and floating up and around in wort...
Krausen just on sides of bucket-
Smelled and tasted v 'alcohol' strong and even had a hint of mild carbonation..
No off , pungent odors..TG !

so I just sealed it back up after sanitizing good and tasting hydrometer tube.

I'm gunna wait and NOT touch it (secondary it) which seems to be the new trend, where as years ago everyone went to a Carboy after primary.

Is there a huge problem with only getting 4.5 gals in primary ? I assume only higher abv and less bottles is a consequence. No?

Other than that any input on what I've done is appreciated.

Awesome our hobby has taken off and there is so much on the www to watch and talk about.
Years ago it was a monthly 'brew newspaper' :rockin: that was it !

Thxs
BigBear

Should we mention BIAB to him? If he is surprised with the other changes BIAB will blow him away.

RM-MN said:
Should we mention BIAB to him? If he is surprised with the other changes BIAB will blow him away.

Baby steps, baby steps!

Welcome back! And get ready, this forum has more info in it than Webster!

Welcome back to the addiction.

Just wait until you find out about fermentation chambers and STC-1000 controllers.

No worries about being a bit short on volume. I wouldn't bother at all with a secondary for this style.

BTW, what was your ferment temp using Nottingham? That stuff is great, but doesn't like over 68*F much at all.

Welcome back to the addiction.

Just wait until you find out about fermentation chambers and STC-1000 controllers.

No worries about being a bit short on volume. I wouldn't bother at all with a secondary for this style.

BTW, what was your ferment temp using Nottingham? That stuff is great, but doesn't like over 68*F much at all.

Thanks for the welcome back guys!!
BIAB???? :mug: lol -
Floyd ? pitched at 68°...& sitting at 68° for a few more weeks!

Congrats and welcome back to the hobby!! I wouldn't worry about the 4.5g. It will be some good beer I bet.

Thanks for the welcome back guys!!
BIAB???? :mug: lol -
Floyd ? pitched at 68°...& sitting at 68° for a few more weeks!

How about 240V 5500W, PID controlled, recirculating E-BIAB (Electric Brew In A Bag)? :D

If 68*F is the beer temp, that's right at the upper end of the Nottingham temp range. If it's the air temp, that might have gotten a bit too warm.

Latest posts

Back