1st Bottle Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainman

Reaction score
After getting consistent consecutive FG readings, I bottled my 1st batch today. The aroma reminded me I'm definitely in the ballpark for a hefe weissen. The sample taste confirmed it. Question: How long and at what temp should I condition. Right now I have it sitting in a dark 70 degree environment but I have the ability to lower to any temp I like.

Sound advice from unionrdr.
But also consider that the hefeweizenis a style is best enjoyed young. There's nothing wrong with tossing a couple in the fridge a week or so after bottling to get an idea how the carbonation process is coming along. If it's not carbed enough for you yet, wait another another week and taste a couple more. To me, a big part of the hefeweizen flavor profile comes from the yeast still floating around in there. Too much time in cold storage is going to settle out much of that suspended yeast and it's characteristic flavor.

My last three or four batches have been fully carbed in a week. While the beer usually does improve in flavor (to some degree) with another week or two in the bottle, it's really hard to wait - especially if it's your first brew. Part of the reason my last few batches might have carbed faster is 'cause my house is warmer now in the summer than it was during the colder months. If you can wait, wait. If you can't - you're not alone. Your first beer is something you'll never forget! Cheers!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will compromise and try one each week until week 3 to see how it progresses. I find that I'm really into the whole process. I can't believe I never tried home brewing before.

Getting the co2 into solution isn't a quick process. It takes 5-7 days normally to get good carbonation. Not to mention, allowing any chill haze to form & settle. This being a wheat beer, it should have high carbonation but if it settles clear & it will- just roll the bottle a couple times on a table to stir it up again before pouring. They used to talk about that on the Cooper's forums a lot.

Back