1st batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keg2881

Reaction score
Threw together my 1st batch a few weeks ago. I let it ferment for 2 weeks at 75 with WLP775 and then moved it to one of my fridges for cold crashing. How long do I need to cold crash it for to insure that I have no bottle bombs yet have enough yeast to carbonate?

does your hydrometer tell you that it is done fermenting?
if it's below 1.000, then its probably done. if its done fermenting, you won't get bottle bombs unless you add way too much corn sugar. i don't bottle anymore, but the normal amount was 3/4 cup, but i used to go by weight because it was more reliable. i also used more than that because i like cider a little more heavily carbed. if you are using cheap bottles though, this can be a problem. one cup corn sugar should be just fine. after cold crashing though, it may take as long as two months for that to carb up. i have a cyser bottled in grolsch bottles that is just starting to carb up after a month.
cold crashing doesn't kill yeast or anything like that, as it seems your post implies. it just drops the yeast out. it is still in there though and if things aren't done fermenting, they will eventually explode as yeast levels build back up. trust your hydrometer, it is your friend. do not trust your airlock, it is your enemy.

I have not taken a gravity reading since I suspect fermentation has stopped. I do know this. The apple juice alone was 1.045 and I added 2 cups of dark brown sugar. For a total of five gallons. And the yeast was wlp775. So I am not sure what it is supposed to finish at.

that's pretty much all fermentable, it's not like beer. probably finish around 1-.996, if you used regular sugar instead of brown sugar, it usually drops all the way to .992 or so, assuming you treated your yeast well and all that jazz.
ciders, like meads and grape wines, tend to fully ferment as the sugars are almost completly fermentable, so if you want sweetness you have to halt fermentation (can be tricky) or stabilise and backsweeten (easy, but i hate sweet junk so i never do it)

Latest posts

Back