1940's Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ztp

Reaction score
I am going to pick up a 1940's model fridge (possible 50's owner isn't quite sure the exact year) today to convert into a kegerator. I was just curious if anyone has any helpful hints or advice in working with a fridge this old? I will be posting pics once I get started for everyone that is interested, but just curious if there are any things that I should be aware of before tackling this project. :mug:

It will look awesome but will cost a sh1tload more to run. Just something to be aware of.

Ya I figured that would be one con, but when this thing was offered up to me for free I couldn't resist. Especially seeing it painted in old chevy teal, or competition orange, or hot rod red.... I couldn't resist lol

Ya I think it'll look pretty good. I will follow up with some pics later.

I have a 1948 Frigidaire that i got off of craigslist for 25 dollars. Ive been running it for a little over a year now and I was amazed at how cheap it is to run. I asked an old electrician friend if he had any input on why. He told me that back in the 40's and 50's, homes did not have nearly as much electrical capacity flowing through their outlets. So, these big refrigerators actually had to be pretty energy efficient otherwise there would be fuses being blown all day. I guess the only thing you can do is plug it in and see, but thats my 2 cents...

Well thats encouraging. Got any pictures so I might be able to steal/borrow some ideas?

Wow ya that thing is pretty awesome looking. I will definitely have to shoot for that. thanks for sharing that with me.

I picked up a 1947 Philco just the other day (see this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/repair-replace-cooling-unit-275373/). I got really inspired by the Philco F915 in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/index212.html
Wow, that's freaking sweet! Fridges from that era are like cars from that era, the styling blows the modern stuff out of the water.

Re operation costs, I don't think you'll see that much of an increase in your power bill. If you think about it, when it's full you'll have quite a bit of thermal mass and you probably won't be opening it dozens of times a day like you would if you were using it to store groceries. Assuming it's working correctly (versus running all day and not actually cooling) it should be fine. I bought a glass front Dannon yogurt fridge for my beer fridge (storage and lagering) and I had a few people tell me it would cost me an arm and a leg to run. I didn't notice hardly any increase in my electric bill. At home it's being opened a couple times a day at most. At the grocery store it was probably being opened several times per hour.

Ya I just went and checked it out and it's a 1938 frigidaire. The only thing that worries me is cooling plate/ freezer I guess leaves 8 1/2" on either side so my 1/6 kegs won't fit. May have to do some modifications.

bellecitybrewer said:
I have a 1948 Frigidaire that i got off of craigslist for 25 dollars. Ive been running it for a little over a year now and I was amazed at how cheap it is to run. I asked an old electrician friend if he had any input on why. He told me that back in the 40's and 50's, homes did not have nearly as much electrical capacity flowing through their outlets. So, these big refrigerators actually had to be pretty energy efficient otherwise there would be fuses being blown all day. I guess the only thing you can do is plug it in and see, but thats my 2 cents...

I was told the same, I have a Fridigair that was made in 1948. I'm in the process of converting it now also.

Well I didn't take any pics of it but this is what it looks like. In case anyone is interested.

image-1723102421.jpg

Very cool. Now that has great potential and great character!

Keep the story coming.

If you've got a fridge that old that is working ok, is there any reason for changing the compressor? I suppose it might be a good idea to change the electrical stuff, especially the relay, to decrease the risk of fire.

Here's some photos right after I converted it. Ive cleaned it up quite a bit since then and I also found an original shelf that fits right above the kegs, so I can store hops, yeast, etc... Oh ad btw, I didn't put on that ugly as all hell drip tray. It was on when I bought it...lol

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Latest posts

Back