15g barrels Safe? Used for soap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
On Craigslist I found a guy selling 15g HPDE (#2) barrels for cheap. He said they used to carry soap for his dairy equipment. I was going to pick up several of these to use for fermenters and grains.

Think I can get all of the soap residue out? Safe?

I don't see why not. Rinse it with hot water, give it a good oxy clean soak for a few hours, then rinse it out with hot water.

Yeah, multiple hot water rinses.... maybe even build a stand so you can do a long flush upside down with hot water. Maybe even drain your hot water tank into it with the barrel inverted. You definitely do NOT want that stuff in your brew!

Some HDPE plastics will absorb aromas of what they contained. Since this contained soap for dairy use I would think it will rinse out very well.
Test will be to rinse, seal, and then open the next day to check for soap aroma.

I finally got around to picking these up. I bought 4. It turns out they individually held soap, sanitizer, a concentrated base, and the last a concentrated acid. Not what I wanted but for 5$ i figured I'd give them a shot.

I haven't taken the time to write down the chemical names and check the msds's for the info. I figured I would neutralize the residual acid and bases and likely the sanitizer (baking soda & vinegar). The soap should be easy enough with several hot rinses. I work in a lab so I've been considering bringing in some samples to pH and see if the neutralization works.

Latest posts

Back