15AMP AGC fuse question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goowa

Reaction score
@stevehaun hooked me up with some AGC fuse holders (.25" x 1.25"), so awesome thanks again for that. I'm shopping around trying to find something that will not blow until 15A @ 120V, which is 1800W (amirite?). Most AGC fuses I'm looking at are 15A @ 32V which is 480V. I don't believe that's enough protection for 16AWG wire.

If I'm mathing correctly above then I should be looking for something like 56.25 Amps @ 32V to protect up to 1800W on 16AWG wire ya?

Keep in mind that the use case for the circuit is two 15-5 receptacles, one running a Blichmann riptide pump which states its max draw is 1A, and the other is just there in case i need to plug something else in, most likely a phone charger which states it pulls 2.4A.

Just concerned about burning up the wire in case something goes terribly wrong with anything plugged in to one of those two receptacles.

home depot is where I found the correct ac rated fuses in the isle with the circuit breakers.
the phone charger doesnt even draw an amp... that 2.1a output on the dc side..
the ripetide does draw a bit more than an amp though.. at least I believe mine does (might be wrong).

home depot is where I found the correct ac rated fuses in the isle with the circuit breakers.
the phone charger doesnt even draw an amp... that 2.1a output on the dc side..
the ripetide does draw a bit more than an amp though.. at least I believe mine does (might be wrong).

Righto! I forgot that was the output on the DC side, thank you for the clarification!

As for the riptide, i cant be certain what it draws i just looked at the little diagram on the base. Thanks for the feedback, I've read that a lot of pumps will draw a bit more power in a 'surge' when they fire up. I expect though, that at no point it'll draw enough to blow a 15A fuse tho, amirite?

I don't think the rating for an application like that is too critical. You're really just looking for protection from some type of critical fault, not a slight ripple.

I wrote to Blichmann and asked. The draw on the riptide is less than 1 amp according to their customer support.

I wrote to Blichmann and asked. The draw on the riptide is less than 1 amp according to their customer support.
Does anyone know the horsepower of the riptide pump? Silly question perhaps but I’m adding a power switch in between pump and outlet and max horsepower for the switch is 3 HP. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know the horsepower of the riptide pump? Silly question perhaps but I’m adding a power switch in between pump and outlet and max horsepower for the switch is 3 HP. Thanks in advance.
It's a fraction of a horsepower. A 1 HP motor draws almost 8 A @ 110 VAC (ref.) So, 1 A would work out to about 1/8 HP.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back