15 Minutes to Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb

Reaction score
Took a stab at a 15 min boil today. The brew session flies by and is doable on your own but would be better with an extra hand to keep you on track. You have to have everything measured and ready to go before you start. I used a smaller pot for steeping the grains while the boil kettle was coming to a boil. It was fun and a quicker session you spend more time cleaning up than brewing.

20 before boil
Steep Crystal 10L .5lb

15 Min - add contents of your other pot
Cascade .5z
Nelson Sauvin .5z
Falconer's Flight .5z
Irish Moss
DME Wheat 3lb
LME Wheat 3.3lb
(the extract takes longer so I added the hops first)

10 Min
Immersion chiller to sanitize it

5 Min
Bitter Orange Peel .5z
for a little more bitterness

Flameout
Nelson Sauvin .5z
Falconer's Flight .5z

Safale 05

Speed-brewing. 5 gallon batch?

How long is the entire process, from the first flame-on to cool down and in the fermenter?

Why add the I/C at 10. Why not add it at flame-out and have it help cool the wort. It prevents stopping the boil part way through.

5 seconds at 160 F is enough to sanitize.

I usually add flame out hops after I have added the I/C after flame out. The cooler temps help retain some of the flavor an aroma oils.

25 minutes is the shortest I have done. The biggest problem is getting the
IBUs with a short boil.

Not including prep time, starting from the steeping it about an hour to primary.

I guess I could drop the IC in later, when I dropped the IC in it hardly effected the boil. The OG was 1.049, low IBUs for a small beers shouldn't be much of a concern its also hard to really tell what the IBUs are BeerSmith says 23IBUs, Brew Target says 36IBU @ Tinseth and 17IBU at Rager. Not looking for it to be too bitter kinda more along the lines of hoppy but mellow pale ale like Two Brothers Sidekick or Lagunitas All Day.

Back