12" False Bottom in an Igloo Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulene

Reaction score
So, I'm about to order a 12" false bottom for my 10 gallon Igloo cooler when I decide to take a quick measurement of it's diameter and suddenly became concerned about the clearance under the bulk head of the ball valve. It looks to be about 3/4". Most of the instructions for converting beverage coolers are for Rubbermaid. I assume Igloo and Rubbermaid would be similar if not the same but I want to be sure. Does anyone have a 12" false bottom in an Igloo cooler? Does it fit comfortably?

Thanks for the help!

I have a 12 incher and it slides in just fine ;)

On the inside of my cooler I have a 1/2" coupler and a hose barb, so between 2-3" that the false bottom needs to slide under.

EDIT: Sorry I just re-read your post and noticed you were using an Igloo, I am using it with a Rubbermaid cooler. The inside diameter of the Rubbermaid is about 12 7/8".

Yeah thanks. I know there must be people who use an Igloo cooler but I can't find much about converting them online. The diameter of my cooler is about the same as yours. What is the height of your coupling and hose barb off the bottom of the cooler? I could order a smaller false bottom but would prefer to use a 12" if it fits.

You should have plenty of room, if false bottoms didn't fit Igloos, so many people wouldn't have converted them. I'm sure most FB don't vary all that much in height, order it and when it comes in test fit it while still in the plastic, you can always return it unopened.

If you purchase a domed false bottom the edges will be under 3/4" hieght. Use the vaiable length weldless bulkhead that is now available. You likely will need to first insert the false bottm then install your bulkhead and couplings/hose. Kinda a pain to break down your fittings every time you want to remove the falsebottom but
you may have to. You could also go with a false bottom that sitsi above your valve. They sell them at norCal brewing. They have a 2" stand so they are above the valve/bulkhead. Disadvantage is dead space.

Edit: fwiw I have a Rubbermaid with 12" domed fb. The clearence is roughly what you report, its a little tight and to remove the false bottom every thing gets taken apart. BrewHardware has the variable length bulkhead. It is pretty lean and silicone could probably stretch over the threads if you wanted to avoid added bulk of a female threaded coupling. I am going to try cam locks and a street elbow into my fb to make breakdown a little easier and maintain 1/2" ID throughout.

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to buy the FB from Northern Brewer which has the flat outer edge and would have solved the (potential) problem. They are out of stock however so I just made a stainless braid and will batch sparge since I want to brew soon. Eventually I would like to get a false bottom so I'll take a look at the equipment you suggested. Thanks again!

I would suggest checking out the false bottom for an Igloo cooler that Adventures in Homebrewing sells. I bought it and have had much better results sparging and have had zero stuck sparges. It costs more but is worth it. I have used both kinds and will not go back to the standard type sold by Northern and many other retailers.

I too am considering a FB for my igloo cooler. Does anyone have any experience with the NorCal brewing FB; pricier than most, but, is it worth the added expense?

Latest posts

Back