12 Beers of Christmas - 2023 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been tracking whose has arrived - but I think they all did. The only damage seems to be this can from @BAF. It looks like something leaked, but when I squeeze it nothing comes out and it seems to hold pressure. If I traded more, I'd definitely get a canner. So cool.

1702677917611.png

IMG_8300.jpeg

1st Beer of Christmas - @Beekeeper's Abbey Weizen:
Pours a bright gold with a thick white head. Carbonation is spot on. Very nice, spicy aroma. Light spices hit just right and give the beer a bright, very enjoyable saison-like flavor. An excellent quaffer. Tore through my first one before sprinting to a second (Friday beers are the best beers). Great job @Beekeeper - this is a really well brewed beer. Cheers!

Last edited:
View attachment 836619

1st Beer of Christmas - @Beekeeper's Abbey Weizen:
Pours a bright gold with a thick white head. Carbonation is spot on. Very nice, spicy aroma. Light spices hit just right and give the beer a bright, very enjoyable saison-like flavor. An excellent quaffer. Tore through my first one before sprinting to a second (Friday beers are the best beers). Great job @Beekeeper - this is a really well brewed beer. Cheers!
I'm pleased that I could make something that you enjoyed.
And I absolutely love the photo composition!

@Beekeeper Weizen was delicious. Its flavors perfectly matched my expectations after reading the recipe. I could taste the coriander and of course the belgian yeast notes. Meringue head was a bonus. I intentionally left the yeast in the bottle, so ended up with a nice clear beer (I know many folks like their hefe cloudy). Wish I had chilled two of them.

I did not pick up any of the cinnamon.

1702688305149.png

Last edited:
I haven't been tracking whose has arrived - but I think they all did. The only damage seems to be this can from @BAF. It looks like something leaked, but when I squeeze it nothing comes out and it seems to hold pressure. If I traded more, I'd definitely get a canner. So cool.

View attachment 836613
I'm still waiting on yours @passedpawn. Hopefully tomorrow.

@4_Sons_Brewing what is the xtra that was in your shipment? K&H. No description there. Sorry if I missed it above somewhere

These beers were from my Son’s Wedding - k&H are the initials of the couple.

The beer should have a beer type checked on the side (if I labeled them correctly).

I did 5 different beers for the wedding - they were the only beers I had available to include as extras, as I spent most of the summer brewing those, so tossed an extra one into each box.

If it’s not checked - then it will truly be a Christmas surprise - but it will be one of the 5 beers listed on the side of the can. 😂

I had to catch up last night - had the Abbey Weizen and the Cherry Dubbel.

I’m not very good with tasting notes, but I’ll say both were very good beers.

The abbey had hints of lemon peel and a bit of saison like funk, which I really enjoyed. My son who is not a craft beer guy also enjoyed it.

The dubbel had some nice tartness from the cherry, loved the color.

Both very drinkable and enjoyable beers, look forward to enjoying the remaining bottles of these and all the others.

Attachments

• IMG_3211.jpeg
    IMG_3211.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3212.jpeg
    IMG_3212.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
These beers were from my Son’s Wedding - k&H are the initials of the couple.

The beer should have a beer type checked on the side (if I labeled them correctly).

I did 5 different beers for the wedding - they were the only beers I had available to include as extras, as I spent most of the summer brewing those, so tossed an extra one into each box.

If it’s not checked - then it will truly be a Christmas surprise - but it will be one of the 5 beers listed on the side of the can. 😂
Ah, should have noticed the check mark. Hoppily Ever After is it. Which makes me think... My youngest boy is getting married in May. I should get something on tap just like that. And maybe a mead for bottling.

2nd Beer of Christmas - @kwilson16's Spiced Cherry Dubbel:
Kicking off my Saturday session early as we're home all day baking Christmas cookies so went first with @kwilson16's Spiced Cherry Dubbel (bet you didn't intend on it being an eye opener did ya'?). Poured a gorgeous reddish 'Auld Bruin' brown with a slight white head that dissipated fairly quickly (no suprise at this ABV). Clean aroma with no hint of hops or of hot alcohol (a pleasant surprise at this ABV). Cherry solidly asserts itself and brings with it the slightest hint of sourness which, being a fan of the Duchess (de Bourgogne), I am definitely here for. Let the second half of the pint warm up and the flavors blossomed while still holding any hot alcohol at bay - quite the trick. I would have had a second but it being 11% and it being 1pm here on the east coast - I reluctantly chose to push my next one off until another time. If I'm being honest, the label also had me worried over what my third grade teacher Sister Alice Marie would think of me now. (For those scoring at home, catholic guilt lasts 46 years - and counting). Very enjoyable and dangerously drinkable beer @kwilson16. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_8310.jpeg
    IMG_8310.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Kicking off my Saturday session early as we're home all day baking Christmas cookies so went first with @kwilson16's Spiced Cherry Dubbel (bet you didn't intend on it being an eye opener did ya'?). Poured a gorgeous reddish 'Auld Bruin' brown with a slight white head that dissipated fairly quickly (no suprise at this ABV). Clean aroma with no hint of hops or of hot alcohol (a pleasant surprise at this ABV). Cherry solidly asserts itself and brings with it the slightest hint of sourness which, being a fan of the Duchess (de Bourgogne), I am definitely here for. Let the second half of the pint warm up and the flavors blossomed while still holding any hot alcohol at bay - quite the trick. I would have had a second but it being 11% and it being 1pm here on the east coast - I reluctantly chose to push my next one off until another time. If I'm being honest, the label also had me worried over what my third grade teacher Sister Alice Marie would think of me now. (For those scoring at home, catholic guilt lasts 46 years - and counting). Very enjoyable and dangerously drinkable beer @kwilson16. Cheers!
Downshifted to this 'light' beer @Rish. Thanks for including - I dig it.

Attachments

• IMG_8313.jpeg
    IMG_8313.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Haha, catholic schools for me too. I know exactly what you're saying.

Also, I had NO idea that was 11% until you just wrote that!

Very tasty cherry dubbel, @kwilson16 ! Nice subtle cherry aroma and flavor, no hint that it's 11%. I like it. I had a little trouble with that fancy cap cover, though!😉
I had to laugh, as I just opened this and mentioned to the wife that I'm not a fan of the foil cover. Agreed, that's a smooth, tasty 11% cherry. @kwilson16 you can be proud of that brew day.

1702774790861.png

Catching up from yesterday. Beautiful color on this Abbey Weizen.

As others mentioned, there's a great funky aroma up front. Light belgiany yeast character behind a really nice, crisp lemon zest. I get a tiny bit of cinnamon finish after a swallow. This is not generally my favorite style but this one is crisp and refreshing!

You all have me revved up for the Dubbel. 11% eh :D

Quick edit as I let it warm some I started to get a bit of banana too. Just enough.

Last edited:
1702789154230.png

Ooh that's a great beer. I had my pocket knife ready for the foil, thanks for the heads up .:cool:

Nice and tart, with a strong cherry flavor up front. It seems pretty highly carbonated which fits this beer perfectly. I'm waiting for it to warm up some now but it's hard not to finish!

3rd Beer of Christmas - @shetc 's Spiced Juniper Rye Bock:
Beer pours a beautiful reddish brown with a slight head that dissipates quickly. Very clear and inviting - a good looking pint. Clean aroma straight out of the fridge - no hop or spice aroma off the bat. Medium to low carbonation. Subdued spiciness of the Rye comes through with the first sip - a really nice flavor (I'm a huge fan of rye in all its forms - beer, bread and whiskey). Color and appearance are really nice - enjoyed staring at it. Flavors open up as the beer warms bringing what I assume are the juniper berries forward. Not super familiar with Juniper but it seems to impart a very nice flavor completely appropriate for the season. Nicely brewed @shetc - Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_8321.jpeg
    IMG_8321.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
@shetc , this is a tasty beer! Like the color and mouth feel. Just a touch of juniper and spice. Nice brew.🍻
+ Malty flavor, full bodied, warming. Very drinkable. Wife likes this one as well!

Like trying to identify just the guava in a hawaian punch, without having tasted guava alone, I don't 'know' juniper, so I am unable to identify its presence among the flavors. Heck, I didn't know what chamomile blossoms smelled like either.

Recipe please. Is this one straight out of Randy’s book?

Hey @JAReeves - received your beers today intact. Really love the label and the big bottle (it's like catching a full size candy bar trick-or-treating). Thanks for the nice note and the chaser too. Looking forward to trying both.

Attachments

• IMG_8325.jpeg
    IMG_8325.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back