12 Beers of Christmas 2018 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@biochemedic Received your package today! And the best part is it's about 40 here right now so I was able to pop one open right away, enjoying now.

Outstanding beer! Nice balance of bitterness with a solid juicy/melon hop finish. Ginger definitely comes through but isn't overpowering at all. Wow, well done! Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20181204_205314.jpg
    20181204_205314.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 69
Okay, this post will make this seem like that ordinary, general swap, not the cool holiday party that it is... So, if you are not reading this thread already, move back to a prior post!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find "local" and "Christmasy." I have had Southern Tier 2XMAS, and it is pretty good, but I am sure it is available to most of you. Though they are in New York, Lakewood is really nowhere near me. I know they have a few breweries up and down the east coast. So I am starting to lean on those one-off brews from my neck of the woods. Here is what I have on hand, and in an adequate supply to offer each of you what you see in the pic. These three beers will be headed your way soon.

"Kronk",
8.0%, is a collaborative effort between Barrier Brewing, Nassau County, NY, and London's Hackney Brewing. How do they collaborate over 3,500 miles and 5 hours? I don't know, but it is a tasty IIPA.

Kills Boro is one of three Staten Island breweries. They turn their beers out of a brew pub called Craft House. Craft House is not far from Flagship Brewing, which I decided was too mundane. "Birthday Munchies", 10%, comes real close to the flavor of cake batter, in my opinion. Lactose added... Definitely a neat stout, though I can't imagine more than one in a sitting!

"Brut IPA", 6.5%, is the lightweight of the bunch. I think it is more of an IPL than IPA. Even though it is over the VZ bridge, it is local. Probably 10-12 blocks from my old office, Five Boroughs Brewing is among a dozen or more Brooklyn breweries. (I wanted to find some "XBeans" from Six Point, but it wasn't to be.) A very palatable IPA, but boring in the context of Christmas. My apologies.

ThreeWiseMen.jpg

So my thought has now become... Can/will you guys tolerate 2 IPAs? I certainly don't mind, but I know some can't stand the style. PM me if you have a real aversion to my plan, maybe I can sub something. Will be shipping as soon as Pete labels his beers and gets them over to me!

$85 shipping boxes, TBC got a few extra that I owe him. Plus $65 beer and gas hanging out with fellow HBT’ers. A bargain! I’m in again next year!

This is a great thread and project! I just joined homebrewtalk a couple weeks ago, so this is a new concept to me. Do you guys only allow all grain brewers to participate? I like Mosher's book but opt for the mini mash recipes, as I haven't prioritized the space for an all grain setup. If so, I'd be in for 2019, and if not, well, maybe that pushes me over the hump to start brew in a bag and beyond.

Maybe that pushes me over the hump to start brew in a bag

Do it. BIAB is amazingly simple. I actually retired my 3 vessel setup for the simplicity of BIAB, with the final quality being the same.

I am dropping off the crabapple lambic today, then canning and shipping it this weekend. I am not going to try to describe it, but I am very pleased with the results. I am actually happy I made a total of 12g and split the batch, so I can see how it matures in the second vessel.

I am not sure how much the crabapples really add to it, and the cranberry version might be a better decision (and a lot easier to source - not all of us have a LHBS with a quasi-wild crabapple tree behind the store).

@biochemedic Received your package today! And the best part is it's about 40 here right now so I was able to pop one open right away, enjoying now.

Outstanding beer! Nice balance of bitterness with a solid juicy/melon hop finish. Ginger definitely comes through but isn't overpowering at all. Wow, well done! Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope everyone enjoys as much. Always my own critic, it came out a little sweeter than I had been shooting for, but I'm pleased with it as well....

IMG_20181205_144907.jpg

They arrived! Thanks @Yeroc. I can't wait to try it, and the labels look awesome. Man, I feel like I wimped out on the labels this year. Art isn't a strength of mine so I farmed out that chore to my kids. Oh well, they enjoyed it.

View attachment 601016

They arrived! Thanks @Yeroc. I can't wait to try it, and the labels look awesome. Man, I feel like I wimped out on the labels this year. Art isn't a strength of mine so I farmed out that chore to my kids. Oh well, they enjoyed it.

Glad they arrived intact! All my beers have been shipped to group 2. I still owe a box to TBC, the saffron tripel brewer from group 1.

Curious about your thoughts on the beer. I've found the saffron is very prominent when poured right from the fridge. Too much so for me personally. I don't have much experience with saffron in cuisine. It does mellow out when the beer starts to warm and the malt comes forward. Anyway, enjoy!

@Yeroc just got your saffron tripel. Everything arrived safe and sound. Sorry, I didn’t think to snap a pic. I just got the labels printed out and put on the boxes and the group 2 spiced dunkel weizenbock will ship out tomorrow.

All boxes dropped with fedex this morning, I think the longest was 4 business days (to CA). PMs incoming with tracking numbers

I will say, this is the largest group I've shared homebrew with. I hope it lives up to expectations. I'm pleased with the old ale, it's maybe a touch sweeter than intended, but good. I didn't really expect to get the dried fruit flavors coming through, but they do. Will be interesting to see how it keeps developing.

@November, I'm bummed to report a casualty. One of the group 2 Gruit bottles broke in shipping. Packaging seemed fine. So I don't know what would have been the problem. I'm looking forward to trying this one. I've never had a gruit and don't know what to expect.

Gruit.jpeg

Aw, that sucks. Sorry about that. If it turns out that you love it, I can mail you a replacement. It's pretty different. I can see how people would like it, but it definitely wasn't something I'd want a ton of.

Aw, that sucks. Sorry about that. If it turns out that you love it, I can mail you a replacement. It's pretty different. I can see how people would like it, but it definitely wasn't something I'd want a ton of.

No worries. Good thing you had the wrapped bottles in a trash bag! I love the spray painted labels. That's something I've never thought of before. Might have to give it a try sometime.

I'm glad the labels seem to be staying on - for the first time ever I had problems with the milk method and had to redo about half of them. It may be to do with the less clean edges from cutting them into ovals but I wanted the right shape for the background image of the Big Bang.

Group 2, the Gingerdead Man is in transit. It is still conditioning, so please fo not drink until Christmas. My take on this added a bit of roast to a caramel forward beer. Hope it comes out as good as the sample.

I am so jealous...cant wait for 12BoC v.2019

Even though I'm not involved this year I love seeing all the label work! I need to figure out how to step my game up from masking tape and sloppy handwriting lol...

I am so jealous...cant wait for 12BoC v.2019

Even though I'm not involved this year I love seeing all the label work! I need to figure out how to step my game up from masking tape and sloppy handwriting lol...

I literally made a font based on handwritting so mine can look handwritten, but not require that effort. It's the ultimate in ambitious lazy.

I got the combined 3 from CA, the ginger IPA and the safron triple all safe and sound. Just keep forgetting to take pictures.

Last edited:
Back