12 Beers of Christmas 2018 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the group 2 fruitcake beer bottled tonight, will label pack and ship over the next few days and probably ship on Monday.

Having one of the @JDXX1971 2017 fruitcake beers as a reward...damn fine beer my friend.

After a minor setback, the Group 1 Spiced Bourbon Stout is bottled, labeled, and ready to ship!

2018-11-28 23.14.37.jpg

BTW I'll be glad to run the 2019 edition if we don't have any other volunteers. I'll certainly give the awesome @jerbrew and @mirthfuldragon first dibs as they did a great job getting everything organized back up this fall for each group.

@TBC
@biochemedic

Both your bottles look fantastic!

You, my friend, may grab this bull by the horns and start next years thread.

I absolutely am not volunteering ... I am, however, harassing you guys to add in a cider; however, I may try to snipe the stout next year :)

I was kind of thinking along the same lines of opening up some of the interpretations for variety. Like a fruit cake or honey ginger cider or, as mentioned early, a juniper rye pale. I went with a porter as my base for the gingerbread ale instead of a brown like Mosher suggests because I like porters more.

What I'm getting at is maybe we should have an even more general guideline like "Honey Ginger Ale" and allow for creativity or a "Holiday Stout" that could use gin or rum instead of narrowing it in on bourbon. I kind of like the idea of doing a spiced dark saison that could be aged on some wine soaked oak chips, kind of inspired by mulled wine. Just some thoughts on next year to keep us creative. I also have no problem if people just want to brew from the "classics" because I can't think of any way to do that caramel quad any better.

Makes you wonder how far from the original thread should this stray. Should it stray at all? Does that take away from the theme? In 5 years will "Honey Ginger Ale" turn into "Ale"? Did I start something I shouldn't have? Have I had a beer yet today? No ;*(

I dunno ... I'd like to contribute next year; however, I am not familiar with many of the styles and wouldn't want to ship something I found tasty but is too far off the requested style to people who are expecting to receive that style. If you are expecting a stout but receive a nut brown...well, that would be weird, eh?

Anyways, I find a well rounded, spiced cider to be perfect for the holidays which is what brought me to bring it up :)

Makes you wonder how far from the original thread should this stray. Should it stray at all? Does that take away from the theme? In 5 years will "Honey Ginger Ale" turn into "Ale"? Did I start something I shouldn't have? Have I had a beer yet today? No ;*(

I dunno ... I'd like to contribute next year; however, I am not familiar with many of the styles and wouldn't want to ship something I found tasty but is too far off the requested style to people who are expecting to receive that style. If you are expecting a stout but receive a nut brown...well, that would be weird, eh?

Anyways, I find a well rounded, spiced cider to be perfect for the holidays which is what brought me to bring it up :)

12 beers + a cider = A Bakers Christmas

@TBC Saffron Tripel Tidings have arrived, all safe! Can't wait... Thanks!

For the record, your beers were the first to my door two years in a row. Well done!

SaffronBelgianTripel.jpg

Attachments

• SaffronBelgianTripel.jpg
    SaffronBelgianTripel.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
You, my friend, may grab this bull by the horns and start next years thread.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines of opening up some of the interpretations for variety. Like a fruit cake or honey ginger cider or, as mentioned early, a juniper rye pale. I went with a porter as my base for the gingerbread ale instead of a brown like Mosher suggests because I like porters more.

What I'm getting at is maybe we should have an even more general guideline like "Honey Ginger Ale" and allow for creativity or a "Holiday Stout" that could use gin or rum instead of narrowing it in on bourbon. I kind of like the idea of doing a spiced dark saison that could be aged on some wine soaked oak chips, kind of inspired by mulled wine. Just some thoughts on next year to keep us creative. I also have no problem if people just want to brew from the "classics" because I can't think of any way to do that caramel quad any better.

I added some roast to my gingerbread as well....

Does anyone reading this that's interested in the 2019 exchange have a problem with either of the following:

1. Adding some leeway for interpretations of the style (without straying TOO far from the original recipes)
2. Adding a 13th entry (a holiday cider) to the exchange. (This would add an extra shipping cost remember)

Or add any ideas as well that you may have. I'll start the exchange in 2-3 weeks.

I don't want to step on the forum's toes too much as far as tradition, etc.

Last edited:
@TBC Saffron Tripel Tidings have arrived, all safe! Can't wait... Thanks!

For the record, your beers were the first to my door two years in a row. Well done!

View attachment 600207
Glad everything made it. It is nice shipping to the state next to you.

It looks like all of group 1 should have received the saffron Belgian Tripel except for the Cali boys. They should arrive tomorrow hopefully.

+1 for the spiced cider! And I agree with you as far as expecting a certain style and something completely different shows up.

Does anyone reading this that's interested in the 2019 exchange have a problem with either of the following:

1. Adding some leeway for interpretations of the style (without straying TOO far from the original recipes)
2. Adding a 13th entry (a holiday cider) to the exchange. (This would add an extra shipping cost remember)

Or add any ideas as well that you may have. I'll start the exchange in 2-3 weeks.

I don't want to step on the forum's toes too much as far as tradition, etc.

I can't wait to get on the list, but as @TwistedGray mentioned, this whole 'open to loose interpretation' idea may come unraveled in a few years. I'm completely open to adding a cider in (as long as its not me making it), and even to a little bit of style guideline bending. I would just hate to see such a great tradition get turned into a run of the mill beer exchange. I guess what I'm getting at is if one can make a very reasonable argument as to why the beer still fits the style guidelines then I'll be okay with that. For example: I'd like to brew the honey ginger IPA for next year. Would I be able to do that but use a saison yeast? Would that be considered an IPA or a very hoppy Saison? (I was hoping to fall into the 'belgian IPA' gray zone lol).

Those are my thoughts...good luck figuring out what it means. I've already had a few too many at 5pm :cask: Cheers!

What good are traditions if we don't bend/break them? Down with the machine!

On a serious note, I'm not suggesting we turn this into 12 brewers sharing some beer they made after waiting a year - that is the FOTHB thread without the waiting a year.

In "Radical Brewing" Mosher even suggests that these 12 beers are mild suggestions to endless possibilities. I just want to encourage creativity as long as the theme "holiday/winter beer" is maintained. Another example might be a fruitcake English barley wine or a lightly smoked wee heavy with spices aged with some kind of whiskey soaked oak. Just saying, someone can opt to brew the fruitcake old ale and change the base while maintaining the novelty of incorporating fruitcake and so on.

@TBC the beers arrived safe and sound! Labeling is outstanding!

The beer is great! Belgian yeast flavors pair nicely with the earthy/floral saffron. Really nice touch. The 9% ABV is very well hidden too. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20181130_215658.jpg
    20181130_215658.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
What good are traditions if we don't bend/break them? Down with the machine!

On a serious note, I'm not suggesting we turn this into 12 brewers sharing some beer they made after waiting a year - that is the FOTHB thread without the waiting a year.

In "Radical Brewing" Mosher even suggests that these 12 beers are mild suggestions to endless possibilities. I just want to encourage creativity as long as the theme "holiday/winter beer" is maintained. Another example might be a fruitcake English barley wine or a lightly smoked wee heavy with spices aged with some kind of whiskey soaked oak. Just saying, someone can opt to brew the fruitcake old ale and change the base while maintaining the novelty of incorporating fruitcake and so on.

I (tried, and) couldn't have said it better myself. +1 vote for bending and creatively adjusting the rules. +1 for cider as well. I'm done drunk typing for the night!

@TBC the beers arrived safe and sound! Labeling is outstanding!

The beer is great! Belgian yeast flavors pair nicely with the earthy/floral saffron. Really nice touch. The 9% ABV is very well hidden too. Thanks again!

Glad they made it safe and that you liked it.

How was the carb level? Last year the carb levels were to inconsistent using the beer gun so this year I decided to bottle condition them. If they need a little more just leave them in a warm area.

I need to start using the beer gun more often to get my technique down.

Glad they made it safe and that you liked it.

How was the carb level? Last year the carb levels were to inconsistent using the beer gun so this year I decided to bottle condition them. If they need a little more just leave them in a warm area.

I need to start using the beer gun more often to get my technique down.

I thought the carb was fine. Maybe a tad low, but nothing that made it a problem to drink at all. I'll keep the other 2 bottles out to let it carb up a little more and see if I notice a difference. I used my beergun for my bottles, so let me know how the carb level is as well.

47430543_2190154764560117_7729993671604436992_o.jpg

Spacey Hummingbird Spiced Cherry Dubbel all ready for packing and shipping on Monday. Not thrilled with the label but I didn't have time to polish.

Group 2 Gingerbread is in bottles. Labels tomorrow and shipping in a week once I double check flavor. Spice is money, so I advise drinking fresh to keep balance right.

For group 2: I'm working on getting labels sorted and hope to have mine shipped by the end of the week or early next week. My label game is not as strong as some lol!

I lost a battle with my printer last week. Couldn't fix it this weekend, So I have a new one coming. Midweek I should have the labels finished printing and the boxes dropped with fedex.

I managed to throw my back out yesterday, so my packing and sending will be delayed by a day or two.

For those wondering what it costs to ship the 12 beers of Xmas I just saw my account charge. This year it was $171.99. Now this is deceiving since I sent @Scturo about an extra 20lbs of beer for a previous trade so knowing what I usually pay to ship to Cali I’d say drop about $40-$50 off my total cost. So I’m going with $121.99 for this years batch and if the wife asks it was $61!!!

For those wondering what it costs to ship the 12 beers of Xmas I just saw my account charge. This year it was $171.99. Now this is deceiving since I sent @Scturo about an extra 20lbs of beer for a previous trade so knowing what I usually pay to ship to Cali I’d say drop about $40-$50 off my total cost. So I’m going with $121.99 for this years batch and if the wife asks it was $61!!!

$61.32 the details make it seem real.

I actually spent less this year than previous years...I think it was helpful for me that there were two addresses actually in-state, and also one the next state over, and only 2 on the left coast. Using the smallest boxes possible I think also helps....

As @TBC noted, my shipments are on the way and arriving...those in PA/OH, should have already or by tomorrow, the rest of you this week and for those in Cali, probably next Monday. If there's any no-shows past that timeframe, let me know by PM, and we can look at the tracking info.

Start sending the feedback as soon as the bottles start opening!!!

Last edited:
Back