10g yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For years I've been doing 5g batches and am now upgrading to 10g. My usual procedure for making yeast, whether from slurry or a new packet, is to dissolve 1/3c malt extract in 2c water, boil, cool to 70F, then pitch the yeast and cover with foil 2 days before brewing.

So for 10g would I simply use 2/3c malt extract, 4c water and still one yeast packet?

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

That is the mr malty yeast calculator. You enter the size of the batch along with the gravity and it will tell you how big of starter you should make.

Most starters are around 1.040 so use however much extract to get the volume mr malty tells you to to get a 1.040ish gravity starter.

Yeah, I found this site googling my question, but I still have questions... so if I set it for Ale/1.048/10g/Repitch from slurry, it tells me I need 337 billion yeast cells and 165 ml of yeast. So does that mean 165 ml of slurry? Pitched into how big of a starter wort?

The Liquid Yeast tab is pretty simple by comparison, 2 packs of yeast, 2.65 liters of starter.

LOL at 10g of yeast starter... my god that would stink the house up!!!

If I remember right, that is how much slurry you want to pitch into the new brew. So yeah. The 160ish ml of slurry. Just don't use a stout slurry on a blonde or something lol

And I came in here expecting 10 gallons of starter too lol. Was thinking how much beer you would need to fully use that starter! Goodness! Lol

And I came in here expecting 10 gallons of starter too lol. Was thinking how much beer you would need to fully use that starter! Goodness! Lol

Exactly! I was like: The first rule of 10 gallon starters is guys that need/make them don't have to ask for help on making 10 gallon starters. :p

mattmcl said:
Yeah, I found this site googling my question, but I still have questions... so if I set it for Ale/1.048/10g/Repitch from slurry, it tells me I need 337 billion yeast cells and 165 ml of yeast. So does that mean 165 ml of slurry? Pitched into how big of a starter wort?

The Liquid Yeast tab is pretty simple by comparison, 2 packs of yeast, 2.65 liters of starter.

LOL at 10g of yeast starter... my god that would stink the house up!!!

"Repitch from slurry" refers to reusing some of the yeast cake from a previous batch. Making a starter with liquid yeast, you should go with your second comment - 2.65 liters. So you would pitch 2 vials of yeast into 2.65 liters of starter wort (1.040ish). I use 1oz of DME per cup of starter, so you're looking at about 11oz of DME.

Ah... I think I see the problem here. I've been making a starter from my slurry, rather than pitching the slurry directly. So I suppose I could use the slurry to make a 2.65 liter starter?

Ah... I think I see the problem here. I've been making a starter from my slurry, rather than pitching the slurry directly. So I suppose I could use the slurry to make a 2.65 liter starter?

You could, but the idea behind making a starter is to grow up the population to enough cells. If you have a nice yeast cake/slurry from a previous batch, you have enough cells already and would not need to make a starter.

Back