10g batches in 18g kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
How comfortable is it to do 10 gallon batches in an 18 gallon kettle? I've tried it in a 15g kettle and it wasn't comfortable at all. I'd like to have the option of doing both 5g and 10g batches which I feel I don't currently have, and getting a second kettle will allow me to do back to back batches faster.

I'm looking at some kettles online and there's one that is 18 gallons, 18 Gauge Stainless Steel, with a 5mm Tri-clad Bottom. The price is reasonable, but it costs more than an 'entry level' pot.

My other choice is to go with an even cheaper 20 gallon kettle (it's entry level), however, should I really be doing 5 gallon batches in a thin 20g pot when I'm looking to only do 5-gallon batches?

So what would be better, a thin 20g or a thicket 18g? Please advise.

I do BIAB 10 gallon in a 20 G pot. My pot is right around a gallon an inch of pot height. 23 # average grain bill. With around 14 gallon strike water.
The hot break is around 3 or 4 inches from the top. Not even close to a boil over.
I would think 18 gallon would work but you might be sweatin it a tad during hot break.

The cheap concord 20 gallon "entry level" pot is anything but lightweight. The thing will literally last forever. Mines been going for 4 years now and still looks like new.

I wouldn't be scared off just because its cheaper. I would say they're priced right and the "non entry level" pots are way overpriced. Its not always you get what you pay for. Many Many people here use them.

You should be fine with the 18G kettle; especially if you are careful at the start of the boil. That extra headspace would be an extra bit of comfort but you should be able to manage.

On the thickness, you really dont need a tri-clad bottom on your boil kettle. I have no idea which kettles you are looking at so a couple links could help us.

You can still do 5G batches in a 20G kettle. The only factors that could make one better than the other is the diameter of the kettle and if you plan on using ball-valves or not and the intention of leaving trub behind. Usually 20G kettles have a bigger diameter and this will affect boil off rate and associated volumes.

If you are serious about 10G batches, you'll likely be interested in ball-valves to help with transfers since 10G of liquid is a bit heavy to lift and pour.

If you are serious about 10G batches, you'll likely be interested in ball-valves to help with transfers since 10G of liquid is a bit heavy to lift and pour.
Ya... he never mentioned BIAB or 3 vessel. If BIAB a good ol' auto siphon works great. The 1/2 auto siphon will transfer 5 gallons in almost exactly one minute and leave nothing in the pot. Not worth buying valves and drilling holes in a pot....IMHO

These are the two I'm looking at. I was mistaken, the second one is 19g, instead of 20g. Prices are in Canadian dollars.

18g kettle:
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Mas...ded_Brew_Ke_p/18gal-mashking-heavy-kettle.htm

19g kettle:
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=19-gallon-2weld&CartID=1

Also, I'm not doing BIAB, but have a separate mash tun. This will be my second pot in the system and I'll get a second burner for it (likely Blichman again). I'd probably also get the leg extensions so that I don't have to lift the pot with 10g in it. At my age and health I'm comfortable lifting my kettle with 5g in it, but 10g is certainly pushing it.

That's a fine kettle indeed, but the difference in dollar values (US vs Cdn) and the exorbitant cost of shipping things over the border (and potential to get wacked with duty), it actually makes it considerably more expensive for me than it appears.

I;m also thinking that a 10-gallon brew should be fine in the 18-gallon pot. You will want to keep an eye on it as it comes to the boil, at least for the first few times, till you get an idea on how high your hot break is.
18 may be a bit overkill for a 5 gallon batch - of course it will work, but that's barely a third full at the start. No worries on boilover, of course, but like others said, it will affect boil off and depending on how you drain, how much is left over.

I routinely start with a 12Gal pre-boil volume in a 15Gal kettle and have no problems, but I watch it like a Hawk!

I remember a while back that Midwest Supplies were advertising a boil over stopper just for big kettles. Perhaps you could save yourself the expense of buying another kettle with one of these? The Sentinel

Back