100 % Pilsner malt fermentation,Turned a creamy white (?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWAL

Reaction score
Quick question using (nearly) 100% pilsner malt. I brewed a Belgian pilsner-esque about 4 days ago,grain bill was 95% Belgian (Chateau Pilsen) malt and 5% Belgian aromatic.I re pitched wlp515 which I washed from a batch two weeks prior.I also transferred from kettle>to carboy>settled protiens >racked over to second fermenter (I have been getting a large amount of protein going through plate chiller).I pitched at about 65 and let sit for two days and have gradually increased temp after 48 hrs to 68.
I have been brewing for just 1 year now and have not yet brewed w/ this much pilsner malt.
Well the wort started out a light amber /golden in color and when I checked it this morning it has turned a creamy white, a bit like if you were to put milk into tea.
Is this normal color for the pilsner or could there be a problem in there? I've never re-used yeast before either,I can't think of anything that would have effected it but I'm still new here and I haven't been able to find any info or pics that would help me out.

I figured that was the case but because of the color (or lack of) the amount yeast I pitched,which is far larger than I had ever pitched in the past as well as never having repitched the slurry, I wasn't sure if the color change indicated a possible problem.

Seeing that drastic a color change frightened me.

Thanks ,you guys have gotten me through the 1st year (15 batches) w/ more help than I could have ever learned elsewhere in this time.

Back