100% Brett Pale - TYB Amalgamation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanmbeal

Reaction score
There's not a whole lot of posts/results about fermentation with The Yeast Bay cultures on the forum I've decided to do several experiments and post the results here. Here's the first, I have several more in various states of completion.

SG 1.058
FG 1.007
IBUs 45 Tinseth
6 Gallon Batch
Mash at 150F

Best Pils 70.00% 9.7 lbs
2 Row 14.00% 2.0 lbs
Rye 11.00% 2.0 lbs
Wheat 5.00% 0.7 lbs

Magnum 14.2% 60 min 0.5 oz
Equinox 13.6% 20 min 0.8 oz
Equinox 13.6% 10 min 0.8 oz
Equinox 13.6% 1 min 1.0 oz

Primary Fermentation with The Yeast Bay Amalgamation - 1/2 gallon starter stepped up to 3/4 gallon over 2 weeks
Aerate for 45 mins with aquarium pump

Ferment at 72F for three weeks

Tasting Notes: Still cloudy after two weeks of cold conditioning. Nice thick white head that dissipates quickly. Earthy Brett funk on the nose, mixed with herbal/piney hop notes. Citrus/Pineapple/Lime notes likely coming from a combo of the hops and Brett. Slight peach/mango notes as well, more so after warming slightly. Flavor largely matches the aroma, pilsner malt character makes a subtle appearance in the flavor. Very dry, slightly thin body. Hop bitterness is accentuated by the earthy Brett notes. Overall a distinctly Brett beer in a short time-frame, complements the Equinox hops nicely. I would like to see how the Brett character comes across with a more subtly hopped beer, possibly with more of a malt backbone.

IMG_1332.jpg

I have only used this blend once, but I am very happy with it. I brewed a simple saison in July and copitched it along with TYB saison blend. I recently tried one after a month of bottle conditioning. I found the website description of the flavors to be pretty accurate with very fruit-forward flavors.

Latest posts

Back