100% Brett (ecy34 dirty dozen) golden ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy1015

Reaction score
I've done a lot of looking into 100% primary with brett dirty dozen and haven't seen a ton so I'll document brewing this and how it turns out.

Going to brew Sunday, have a 1.5L starter going with dirty dozen dated 1/31/16, also tossed in some dregs from smuttynose smut labs daily brett. I got a new oak barrel recently that 3 beers have gone through which I'll start doing sours in, but starting with this 100% brett (primary in barrel)

Grain bill (5.5 gallons)-
8.5lb pilsner
1lb 13oz torrified wheat
14oz aromatic malt
14oz flaked oats

Looking for some input on recipe and also what hops would go well? Was thinking about citra at 60, 10, 0 to get to 30 IBUs

EDIT: added in 4 oz of acid malt as well, this brought my mash ph to level where I didn't need to adjust with lactic acid and also I'm holding out some hope that it does inspire the brett into more 'sourness' as I've seen conflicting opinions on that everywhere

Last edited:
Thinking now maybe zythos at 60 to get my IBUs then wait until brett has done it's thing and determine if/how I want to dry hop

Ok I'll just update through the whole process for anyone looking in the future-

I decided to go with Zythos with 0.7oz at 60, 0.8oz at 15, and 0.5oz at 5. Later on I'll taste it and see if I want to dry hop pending if it's more fruity (then probably dry hop) or barnyardy (probably not dry hop). Brewed this yesterday and got 1.052 OG (aim was 1.057), but everything else went went - I changed computers recently and lost my beersmith stuff and now keep getting an end result with high volume and low gravity so I need to figure that out.

I siphoned half into the barrel and since I can't really see where the level is very well I went ahead and put the yeast in and then finished filling. I wasn't really sure if I should leave head space or not since it's primary but I didn't leave much. I used some fermcap but I except a lot of blowoff so I also put a gallon of wort into 2 growlers to fill back later.

I was nervous about the brett starter because I didn't see any activity on it but clearly it worked because this was popping in 8 hours and this morning already has a lot of blowoff. The starter had a real sour bite on the nose which I didn't expect but definitely hope takes hold in the final beer along with some funky/fruity. Last I pulled about ~100 billion cells off the starter, I'm assuming the brett ratios will change with each iteration but it might actually be cool to do the same recipe a couple times through different iterations of the dirty dozen.

20160228_091932.jpg

Kindve late on the post but 30 ibus sounds a bit too much for a Brett beer. But standing by for an update.

Back