10 tip NG burner from bbqguy's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyebinker

Reaction score
So I just got my 10 tip burner delivered from bbqguys.com. Everything looks great, except the threads on the gas delivery hole. They don't even look like they are 1/16" deep. So now I'm debating if I should get a tap and try to fix them myself or if I should just contact them and get a replacement. I've heard that these Chinese made units are poor quality. anyone have any ideas on fixing this cheap myself?

Contact them for sure. I wouldn't work on it myself. You paid for it to be right. I bought mine from Tejassmokers. Expensive, but the best quality of any NG burner I've seen yet.

I gave them a call this morning and they are sending out a new unit. They said they are checking the threads before they send it just to be safe. Great Customer service I have to say.

Are these the ones from shopperschoice? Mine seem to have shallow threading too and I just got mine last friday after being on the boat for what seemed like forever. I ran my reducing bushing up there last night with two full wraps of yellow gas rated ptfe tape and they seem to be just fine. With the ball valve open, my guess is that even if you do have a ****hair of a leak there, it won't have much chance to escape there. You'll most likely be pulling in air as the gas flow past that bung will promote that I suspect. You can test with a squirt bottle of methanol with the flame lit. If you squirt the suspected bung with methanol, the flame color should change or the flame itself will change profile...

yep that's the one. Yeah mine had about 1/32 of threads and on the top there weren't any. I guess quality control may vary some.

Yeah I ordered mine a couple months back but some lady Rebecca kept emailing me stating delays and such. At least she refunded my shipping due to the horrible delay.

Although the threads aren't deep, they do feel positive. I've already milled out my pilot light fittings to fit so I can't return mine. I have a good feeling based on my threading in the taped reducing bushings that they won't leak. Good luck with your setup.

I know the right thing to do is return them but it will take forever to get an exchange. If you don't feel confident in retapping them, get your money back, and bite the bullet and buy them from Tejas smokers. They are alot more expensive but they are much higher quality. If it were me, I would nix the jet burner and go for a Hurricane Burner if fits into your setup. Just one man's opinion, take it or leave it.

Sawdustguy is correct in nixing the jet burners. I got mine and wish I had another style. I bought them before I came across this forum. I haven't had the control problems others talk about, but I like the idea of concentrated heat. Look on tejassmokers site and they have a new burner in there. Powerful btu and concentrated heat.

Speaking of these, check out the description:

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_Multi-Jet-Propane-Gas-Burner-Mini_path__item_2516985.html

Multi-Jet Propane Gas Burner Mini: Multi-Jet Propane Gas Burner Mini: 10 nozzle multi-jet gas burner is able to reach up to 100,000 BTU with our 0 to 30 psi regulator. This burner uses propane gas only. Regulator and hose not included. Burner measures 5. 5 inches in diameter. For high-pressure applications only. This gas burner is too powerful for lower BTU applications. Item 9441 is the stand that works with this gas burner. 3/8 inch female pipe connection.

I'm a little worried about this high pressure applications only business as I'm building a B10 type flat structure. The regulator Lonnie specs is a 0.4 psi one from Morebeer and that's the one I ordered as well. Will these burners work with this regulator? I do have a 0 - 30 psi regulator from a hurricane burner that I currently use so I guess I could fall back on that. Any comments on this?

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_Multi-Jet-Propane-Gas-Burner-Mini_path__item_2516985.html

Multi-Jet Propane Gas Burner Mini: Multi-Jet Propane Gas Burner Mini: 10 nozzle multi-jet gas burner is able to reach up to 100,000 BTU with our 0 to 30 psi regulator. This burner uses propane gas only. Regulator and hose not included. Burner measures 5. 5 inches in diameter. For high-pressure applications only. This gas burner is too powerful for lower BTU applications. Item 9441 is the stand that works with this gas burner. 3/8 inch female pipe connection.

I'm a little worried about this high pressure applications only business as I'm building a B10 type flat structure. The regulator Lonnie specs is a 0.4 psi one from Morebeer and that's the one I ordered as well. Will these burners work with this regulator? I do have a 0 - 30 psi regulator from a hurricane burner that I currently use so I guess I could fall back on that. Any comments on this?

It simply won't work well for low pressure propane. If you plan on using a low pressure propane regulator you will need one of these from Tejas Smokers if you have your heart set on a jet burner. Here is the url: http://www.tejassmokers.com/newproducts_page6.htm. It is a high quality burner unlike the chinese burner you are considering but it is not cheap though.

jetc10.jpg

Thanks for the reply sawdustguy. What about using the regulator from my Banjo burner which is 0-30 psi (same as what the text from shopperschoice calls for)? I already have these and machined the pilot bungs so I can't return them. I would need 3 and it's not really in my budget right now to buy three new burners. I can always upgrade to the tejas ones in time. My goal is to have my B10 operational for a brew event in early November so time is of the essence...

I just talked to a guy at Tejas and he said that their burner is a chinese burner as well. He said they are all made in China or India. So really the question is what makes it different if its a high pressure or low pressure model? The only possibility is an orifice size, either in each tip (seems like a less likely scenario from a manufacturing standpoint as then you'd have to have two distinct types of burner tips) or an orifice located near the inlet. I didn't look that close at mine past the inlet NPT threads (or lack thereof which was the original intent of this thread). Anyone else care to chime in? I'm not down with paying 95 bucks each x 3 if they are almost identical to the 28 dollar ones I just bought if I can get them to work with either a different regulator or orifice modification.

I just talked to a guy at Tejas and he said that their burner is a chinese burner as well. He said they are all made in China or India. So really the question is what makes it different if its a high pressure or low pressure model? The only possibility is an orifice size, either in each tip (seems like a less likely scenario from a manufacturing standpoint as then you'd have to have two distinct types of burner tips) or an orifice located near the inlet. I didn't look that close at mine past the inlet NPT threads (or lack thereof which was the original intent of this thread). Anyone else care to chime in? I'm not down with paying 95 bucks each x 3 if they are almost identical to the 28 dollar ones I just bought if I can get them to work with either a different regulator or orifice modification.

I'm curious about this as well.

I was not aware that they are identical. If that is indeed true the only difference there could be is the jets themselves. Since you can't return the burners, just drill out the jets. Call Tejas and find out what the orfice diameter is on the jets on their burner and drill yours out to the same dimension. It's a chit load cheaper just to drill out the jets.

I ordered 1st from top food and these are not of the same quality. They are not from the same foundry. The castings were not even close. The ones that came from top food, at my size, were 23 tip and mine are 20. There was greater distance between the jets and all were not in alignment. I also had pin holes in both castings from TF. I'm not sure that the price I paid from tejas was justified, but I can tell you the quality wasn't the same in my case. I wish I had bought something other than jet burners for my rig. Although they work, I'm sure I will make a change when I buid my next structure. I would think that you could drill the jets out and they will work fine. Many people on here have the same burner, from the same vendor. Tejas gave me the propane to nd conversion, I don't see why they wouldn't do it for you.

I also looked at the Top Food site and Tejas and there is a 25,000 btu difference between the 10 tip models. Is this the difference of high and low pressure? I'm just trying to figure out the differnce other than the casting. The more I look at the 20 tip models the more I fell soreness in my rear. They didn't have 20 tip models when I got mine 2 years ago. Tejas has the freight added into their cost, but still a big price difference. Water over the dam no I guess. The ones I see now look very similar. :confused:

I ran a test on the shopperschoice burner this weekend using both a 0-30 high pressure regulator and the 0.4 fixed psi one from Morebeer that Lonnie specs in his B10 plans through BYO. The 0.4 doesn't work as expected but the 0-30 PSI one kicksass and looks to be a good solution. Anyone know if the ASCO valves mind 30 PSI?

Update, since I don't have power to my ascos yet, I had to move each burner individually to my boil section of my frame and in the process, I found one loose tip that was spurting out orange flame from it's base amongst the blue flame. I took the tip out and there was hardly any thread in there and so now the tip is barely gripping the remaining threads. I called Shoppers Choice customer service and damn they are some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with. They have another burner in today's mail to replace this faulty one. No regrets dealing with them whatsoever.

Since I'm using an aluminum frame, I need the space for heat shields. So I went with the 5.5" OD 10 tip 28 dollar jet burner from shopperschoice. I was worried there at first since they were high pressure and I didn't notice that when I bought them but my test shows they work great as long as you have a high pressure regulator. The only downside is you have to drill out the nubbin on the casting for your pilot light but I'll gladly do so instead of paying 95 bucks a burner.

I have the same concern about the "high pressure applications only". I do plan on using my household NG - would I have any problems?

Overall, I'd prefer to use the 10 tip than plug a 23 tip, so I'm hoping it will work.

I have the same concern about the "high pressure applications only". I do plan on using my household NG - would I have any problems?

Overall, I'd prefer to use the 10 tip than plug a 23 tip, so I'm hoping it will work.

The link posted by Irrenarzt is for a propane burner, though the description for the NG model also says "High Pressure". Is this possibly a typo?
Hopefully Eyebinker will chime in and let us know how it's working.

The link posted by Irrenarzt is for a propane burner, though the description for the NG model also says "High Pressure". Is this possibly a typo?
Hopefully Eyebinker will chime in and let us know how it's working.

Ya I noticed the same thing. The description for both is exactly the same. Is household NG high pressure?

Ya I noticed the same thing. The description for both is exactly the same. Is household NG high pressure?

Household NG is considered low pressure. I think restaurants and such often run at a higher pressure. I was wondering if the description might be a copy/paste error, or if the burner is, in fact, for commercial/high pressure applications.

Latest posts

Back