10% sugar juice produces 6% ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
Just want to double check that this is right because I was expecting quite a bit lower. The juice I plan to use says it is 10g sugar per 100ml, I put this into a calculator and it came out at 6%! That is a lot! And I was planning to add extra table sugar to get it up to around that amount. Are those numbers all correct or am I missing some very obvious detail??

Just want to double check that this is right because I was expecting quite a bit lower. The juice I plan to use says it is 10g sugar per 100ml, I put this into a calculator and it came out at 6%! That is a lot! And I was planning to add extra table sugar to get it up to around that amount. Are those numbers all correct or am I missing some very obvious detail??

Can you check the juice with a hydrometer? That would be the quickest and easiest way to know.

I think most apple juices are 1.045-1.060, so that seems about right.

That will also depend on what yeast you use. White Wine yeast will take 1.065 cider (fresh pressed with brown sugar) to 0.993 easily. So, as Yooper said, take a hydrometer reading to get an accurate starting gravity.

That will also depend on what yeast you use. White Wine yeast will take 1.065 cider (fresh pressed with brown sugar) to 0.993 easily. So, as Yooper said, take a hydrometer reading to get an accurate starting gravity.

I may be wrong but I think the only Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast that would be unable to ferment a cider dry at 1.065 is... dead yeast...

I may be wrong but I think the only Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast that would be unable to ferment a cider dry at 1.065 is... dead yeast...

I have had 'cider yeast' leave a SG of 1.065 only as low as 1.012. Same juice and brown sugar with an equal amount of white wine yeast took it down to 0.997. So not all sacc yeast will completely dry cider out. :rockin:

Back