10 stitches from BEER!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
Here is the worst case scenario for a sanitation issue. A couple weeks ago I saved a couple bombers of wort to make a yeast starter with. Last night i was opening the second one my typical way.( i pop the tops with a lighter and my fist gripped around the cap) When suddenly BOOM, an explosion of white and brown foam and blood everywhere in my kitchen. I quickly gripped my thumb tightly and asked the SWMBO for a rag. I took a look when i put the rag on and I knew I was getting some stitches. The bottle did NOT break. It was the cap they gave me 10 stitches and a cut tendon last night. I'll post a pic shortly, but I guess this one of those " be careful" threads.

Wow. sorry to hear that. It sounds like your wort was still fermenting even without yeast, meaning an infection. You'll need to revisit your process to see where you are a little weak in your sanitization process.

NOt sure what happened. I cleaned everything and sprayed everything with starsan from pot to bottle. oddly the beer actually smelled good.

Well that's part of the problem...It shoudn't smell like beer at all....it should not ferment until YOU add yeast for your starter.

You made a gruit and didn't even know it.

Not trying to be an a-hole here, (not that I need to try) but I thought that when you saved wort for starters you should pressure process them... no?

I freeze the wort, its much easier than bottling and no worries about bad things.

Maybe the bottle had some crud stuck on the bottom that was holding the nasties that fermented out the wort.

Latest posts

Back