10 Jet Burner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDIr0n

Reaction score
I currently have a Hurricane/Banjo 10" low pressure burner. I have been having problems getting the fuel/air mixture right and I want to try out one of the 10 jet burners from http://www.topfoodservice.com/restaurantsupplies/KECABJ.html

I am running a 11" WC LPG propane regulator from Brewers Hardware, which burner should I get? Should I get the L.P. or Natrual Gas one? I think I should
use the Natural Gas one but I am second guessing myself.

Thanks,
-G

If you're talking in terms of pressure needed for the burner, those LP ones will work. I ordered mine from Bayou Classic Depot, customer service sucked, and except for the pre drilled nub they are the same as those. I run them off 11" WC LP with really good blue flame and intense heat. If I had to do it over again I would spend the extra money and buy these from Tejas. http://www.tejassmokers.com/newproducts_page6.htm They are more expensive, for sure, but they are bench tested and are ready to roll as soon as you get them. I actually had a small leak on the outer cast ring on mine that I had to patch with JB Weld. Works great now, but I shouldn't have to repair something I just bought especially when we're talking about explosive gases here.

I think the regulator is the problem. Although the burners are "LP" because the oxygen pickup happens at the tips, you need a HP regulator. I have a 44 tip burner for the 3bbl and use a 60 PSI reg.

I can't run high pressure due to my solenoid valve needing low pressure. I stopped by Tejas Smokers and picked up a 10 tip burner and tried it out last night. It works great on 1/2 open to full blast. Do y'all know of a trick to turn it down more without getting really yellow flames?

Yellow tipping is due to lack of air in the fuel air mixture prior to combustion...

When you're 1/2 to full open on your valve it works great due to the venturi effect sucking in air through the little holes on the bottom of the tips. When you decrease gas flow you also decrease the venturi effect thus giving yellow tips.

You can try to block off the air inlets slightly at the bottom of the tips but will more than likely not help as the gas pressure is too low to draw in enough air for proper combustion.

Those types of burners don't have much give in their adjustment opposed to a typical atmospheric burner like the bango which has the adjustable air shutter on it prior to the orifice.

That is kind of what I figured, looks like I will keep it around half to 3/4 open.

Thanks,
-G

The easiest way to set your banjo is to find the sweet spot...

First, make sure you're gas valve is full open to get full manifold pressure to the burner. Close the air shutter till you start getting yellow tips. Mark the shutter location with a marker. Next open up the air shutter till the flame just starts to lift off the burner but remains nice and blue. Mark that location. Now turn shutter to the middle of both marks. Should get you in the sweet spot for full on operation. You can do the same for 3/4 and 1/2 open with your gas pressure and have the positions marked so when you reduce gas pressure you know where to put your air shutter.

How well do these heat up compared to the banjo style? I going to build a stand and I'm interested in one of these for the hlt. I have a blichman now.

They did heat up quicker than my banjo burner. The problem with the banjo was the higher I turned the gas the less efficient it was, so I would turn it up and I would get yellow flames even with the air shutter all the way open. With the jet burners it is the reverse of my situation. Heating up is very efficient and turning down the flame I get more yellow flames. I am happy with the jet burners so far. We will see how many batches I get out of a tank. With the banjo I was getting almost 4 batches if they were my normal 60 min boil 8 gallon size. It would take forever for them to get to a boil with the banjo on LP.

-G

Latest posts

Back