10 gallon cream Ale in e-keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martianpc

Thirsty Bull Brewing
Reaction score
I want to make a 10 gallon biab batch of northern brewers Cream Ale in my electric keggle. What I'm wondering is can I brew with less water, say 10 gallons total and then top off after my boil with whatever I need to hit about 10.5 - 11 gallons into the fermenter?

Thoughts?

I'm just concerned about boiling with that much water in the keggle. I would need about 13 gallons of water pre boil to hit enough for 10 gallons of finishes beer.

Yes, for a true 10 gallon batch of finished beer you will need to "max out" a keggle, it can be done but you will be near the top....fermcap s might help....

I do 10 gallon batches in my keggle but you gotta watch for the boil over. I usually stir the pot and do a little clean up waiting for the boil but don't do that with a 10 gallon batch unless you want a messy boil over. I also use a little less aggressive boil so there is not as much boil off about 12.5 gallons. Good luck.

I'm just concerned about boiling with that much water in the keggle. I would need about 13 gallons of water pre boil to hit enough for 10 gallons of finishes beer.

What's your post-boil volume (in the kettle) target?

Is your element PID-controlled so that you can adjust the intensity of the boil in manual mode?

I've found that I can maintain a decent boil of 6.5-7 gallons of wort on 60% power (5500W element) if I don't want/need as much boil-off.

What's your post-boil volume (in the kettle) target?

Is your element PID-controlled so that you can adjust the intensity of the boil in manual mode?

I've found that I can maintain a decent boil of 6.5-7 gallons of wort on 60% power (5500W element) if I don't want/need as much boil-off.

I'm targeting 11.5 gallons post boil

Yes I'm Pid controlled and I can adjust intensity. Also 5500watt element

In order for me to get to 11.5 post boil I'll need a minimum of 12.5 - 13 pre boil. Do you think I can boil without a mess at that level in a keg?

I've brewed a smaller volume before (17 litres) with the plan to top off with 4 litres of water. Calculated everything as normal just added 4 litres less water.

I put 17 litres into the cube, next day put it into the fermenter, 4 litres of boiled, cooled water goes in after, pitch yeast.

It turned out fine, pretty much exactly the beer I'd expected.

So to actually answer your original question, there is nothing wrong with brewing say 8 gallons post boil wort with a higher gravity then topping off with water in the fermenter to meet your volume and gravity targets.

I'm targeting 11.5 gallons post boil

Yes I'm Pid controlled and I can adjust intensity. Also 5500watt element

In order for me to get to 11.5 post boil I'll need a minimum of 12.5 - 13 pre boil. Do you think I can boil without a mess at that level in a keg?

Since you can precisely control the intensity of the boil with the PID, probably so.

Two 5 gallon kits from NB is 16 pounds to make 1.040 OG. Just max out your keggle during the mash. You will end up adding about 1 gallon of water BEFORE the boil. That's about 13.75 gallons at boil.

Have Fermcap on hand.

Latest posts

Back