10 Gal rubbermaid with false bottom efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate00

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just upgraded my mash tun and I am about to design a beer. What kind of efficiency are you getting with your 10 gal rubbermaid with false bottom? The kind from northern Brewer?

I know it depends on a lot of stuff, I just want a baseline number for beer smith.

I get 80% consistently and use a bazooka tube rather than false bottom and a sparge plate and fly sparge. I have got 85%+ but only when I'm being very meticulous.

I have the same setup with a SS braided hose. ~70%, but getting better. I stir stir and stir some more! Every 15 mins durning the mash. Efficiency is getting better every time I do this.

A lot goes into efficiency. Grain Crush, Water Chemistry, qt/lb ratio, the list goes on.

I have 10g HomeDepot Cooler for a tun and I got about 70% using the homebrew stores grain crusher. I think 70% is a good place to start. I bought my own mill and my efficiency went up to 75%, then I narrowed my gap and started conditioning my grain and now I'm seeing 80%. I batch sparge.

If you are shooting in the dark, start with 70%. And just accept the fact that its a trial run.

Also, you might want to start with a 6% ABV or so recipe. That way, if you are a bit low or a bit high, you've still got a reasonable brew.

I do not use percentage calculations when formulating recipes. I use an overall moving (a.k.a. running) average points per pound per gallon extraction rate along with specialized moving average points per pound per gallon extraction rate for specific grist compositions.

With that said, you should be able to achieve an average mixed grist extraction rate in the 28 to 29 points per pound per gallon range with most maltings without really having to work at it. With experience, a high quality crush, and a good growing season, extraction rates of 33 to 34 points per pound are obtainable without seriously risking a set mash.

As RMikeVT said above, at lot of variables affect efficiency. Anyhow, I have the 10g Rubbermaid mash tun and also do not use a false bottom but instead use the bazooka tube screen (love it). I also crush my own grains with a Barley Crusher and I get a consistent 81% efficiency for all my brews outside of pumpkin ales - due to the pumpkin goop no doubt. But everything else I get 81%. To get 81% for my wheats I slightly tighten up the gap on my Barley Crusher every time I crush wheat since the kernels are smaller.

Rev.

I have used this set up for years never a problem, 75% usually, tried the braid after reading about how great it was and hated it, stuck like crazy for me.

I started with a 5g cooler with false bottom, and used to get 85% mash/lauter efficiency. After an accident with my 5g cooler, I upgraded to 10g also with false bottom. My efficiency dropped from 85% to 80%, but over the next 6 months or so, gradually rose back to 85%.

-a.

One thing that I would like to add to the discussion is that software generated efficiency percentages are only accurate if the actual hot water extract (HWE) or dry basis, fine grind (DBFG) values of the malted cereal grains used in a mash match the values used to perform the calculation. The HWE/DBFG values for different malted cereal grains change from year to year and malting to malting because the maltster is at the mercy of mother nature, which is one of the reasons why I switched to using a simple moving average points per pound per gallon-based system years ago. I have seen more than one amateur brewer beat him-/herself up over decreases in extraction efficiency when his/her efficiency did not change--the actual HWE/DBFG values of the malted cereal grains used in the mash changed!

With that said, I posted my system a while back in a thread that turned ugly. I do not wish to have this thread go in that direction. If my system works for you, I am happy to see others adopt it. However, I know that most people will continue to use the system that works for them.

*** begin re-posted information ***

Here's a strategy for incorporating points per pound per gallon into one's brew house:

First, one needs to calculate the points per pound per gallon extraction rates for one’s brew house.

points_per_pound_per_gallon = (batch_original_gravity - 1.0) x 1,000 x batch_volume_in_gallons / batch_grist_mass_in_pounds

In practice, the (batch_original_gravity - 1.0) x 1,000 portion of the equation can be simplified by taking the original gravity reading lopping off the "1" and converting the number to the right of the decimal point to a whole number (e.g., 1.056 becomes 56), as that's all this part of the equation accomplishes.

Using a 5.5-gallon batch of 1.056 wort that was made with 11 pounds of grist to put the equation into practice yields:

batch_original_gravity = 1.056
batch_volume_in_gallons = 5.5
batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = 11

points_per_pound_per_gallon = (1.056 - 1.0) x 1,000 x 5.5 / 11 = 28

Now, if we perform this calculation for several batches, sum the points per pound per gallon values, and divide by the number of batches that were summed, we will arrive at our average brew house extraction rate in points per pound per gallon.

Example

Batch #1 = 26.5 points per pound per gallon
Batch #2 = 27 points per pound per gallon
Batch #3 = 30.5 points per pound per gallon
Batch #4 = 28 points per pound per gallon
Batch #5 = 29 points per pound per gallon

average_points_per_pound_per_gallon = (26.5 + 27 + 30.5 + 28 + 29) / 5 = 28.2

With experience, the variance in the points per pound per gallon values from batch to batch will narrow, and one will have a solid metric with which to use in recipe formulation.

Now that we have found our average brew house extraction rate, let's put it into practice using a hypothetical 11-gallon recipe that we would like to adjust for our 5.5 gallon brew house.

Simple Pale Ale

batch_original_gravity = 1.064
batch_volume_in_gallons = 11
batch_mass_in_pounds = 23

Grist Composition

British Pale Malt: 20.75 pounds
60L Crystal Malt: 2.25 pounds

Calculating the recipe points per pound per gallon extraction rate yields :

recipe_points_per_pound_per_gallon = (1.064 - 1.0) x 1,000 x 11 / 23 = 30.6

If we compare the recipe’s extraction rate to ours, we will clearly see that we cannot just cut the recipe in half; therefore, we need to scale the grist to fit our brew house extraction rate. We can handle scaling two different ways. The easiest and most logical way is to calculate the amount of grist that that we will need to hit the recipe’s O.G. in our brew house and divide this mass into malt percentages that are proportional to those found in the original recipe.

Calculating how many pounds of grist that we need to hit 1.064 yields:

batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = (batch_original_gravity - 1.0) x 1,000 x batch_volume_in_gallons / average_points_per_pound_per_gallon

batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = (1.064 - 1.0) x 1,000 x 5.5 / 28.2 ~= 12.5lbs

With that calculation complete, we need to calculate grist percentages from the original recipe.

recipe_total_grist_mass = 23lbs

recipe_british_pale_ale_percentage = 20.75 / 23 x 100 ~= 90%
recipe_60L_crystal_percentage = 2.25 / 23 x 100 ~= 10%

With these numbers, we can now formulate our grist.

Our Simple Pale Ale

batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = 12.5

British Pale Malt: 12.5 x 0.9 = 11.25lbs (11.25 is 90% of 12.5)
60L Crystal Malt: 12.5 x 0.1 = 1.25lbs (1.25 is 10% of 12.5)

The second way to adjust a recipe based on one’s brew house extraction rate is to calculate a grist scaling factor that takes into account the differences in brew house extraction rates and a batch volume divisor that takes into account the difference in batch volumes.

grist_scaling_factor = recipe_extraction_rate / our_average_extraction_rate

grist_scaling_factor = 30.6 / 28.2 ~= 1.085

batch_volume_divisor = recipe_batch_volume / our_batch_volume

batch_volume_divisor = 11 / 5.5 = 2

batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = recipe_grist_mass_in_pounds x grist_scaling_factor / batch_volume_divisor

Our Simple Pale Ale

batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = 23 x 1.085 / 2 ~= 12.5

British Pale Malt: 20.75 x 1.085 x 0.5 ~= 11.25
60L Crystal Malt: 2.25 x 1.085 x 0.5 ~= 1.25

(note: the symbol “~=” denotes approximately equal to)

*** end re-posted information ***

Latest posts

Back