10 gal batch fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
ugh!!! So I’m changing from two 7 gal SS brewbucket a to just one vessel. So I’ll need a ~14 gal fermenter.

Staying open to other options besides SS Brewtech mainly due to affordability, I’m seeing 14 gal options from Chapman, a brand called VEVOR?, is there anything else I’m missing? I am only considering stainless options.

What have y’all found to be the best for the price?

For ease of cleaning i've been looking at kegs... slightly more expensive, but i feel like i could clean with a keg washer more easily. I already have an washer for corney kegs and fermenters... if yanking the 4" tri clamp leaves a hole big enough to invert and clean like a normal keg/fermenter.

Kegmenter 13.2 (50L) -> https://www.morebeer.com/products/kegmenter-fermentation-keg-132-gal.html
Sabco 7.75 (pony keg) -> https://brewmagic.com/products/fermenter-7-75-gal-by-sabco/
Refurb 10g corney -> https://www.chicompany.net/ball-lock-kegs-c-376_1_44/10-gallon-ball-lock-keg-refurbished-p-1073.html
Norcal keg conversion (15.5 or any normal sankey keg) -> https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Sanke-Keg-Tee-Fermenter-Kit.html

I bought and am using the chapman. I bought the portless and drilled and valved it myself. Have been very happy with it.
Eric

I bought and am using the chapman. I bought the portless and drilled and valved it myself. Have been very happy with it.
Eric

I'm considering a 14 gal Chapman for 10-12 gal batches. I already have two Brew Buckets and can split the batch with those, but I'd rather just ferment the entire batch in one vessel.

One question: Are the Chapman's handles robust enough to safely lift the fermenter when full? The pics of the Chapman show the handles spot-welded on and I want to make sure they are sturdy. I have a chest freezer ferm chamber and would use a hoist to lift it in and out.

I'm considering a 14 gal Chapman for 10-12 gal batches. I already have two Brew Buckets and can split the batch with those, but I'd rather just ferment the entire batch in one vessel.

I used to use two fermenters per 10 gallon batch, and switching to one big fermenter was one of the best things I have done. No more trying to evenly split my yeast starter between vessels and no more wondering if one carboy was fermenting slightly differently than the other.

ugh!!! So I’m changing from two 7 gal SS brewbucket a to just one vessel. So I’ll need a ~14 gal fermenter.

Staying open to other options besides SS Brewtech mainly due to affordability, I’m seeing 14 gal options from Chapman, a brand called VEVOR?, is there anything else I’m missing? I am only considering stainless options.

What have y’all found to be the best for the price?

You're at the point where you should think about a conical fermenter. The ability to drop yeast and hops is a huge plus depending on what you would like to be able to do.

I have never lifted the fermenter when full, so I can not speak to them. I drilled my chapman 2" above the bottom. It allows the beer to be run off using gravity and leaves the trub behind.
Eric

You're at the point where you should think about a conical fermenter. The ability to drop yeast and hops is a huge plus depending on what you would like to be able to do.

Yep! I went ahead and bit the bullet and sold my Gibson Les Paul and went full tilt on a Spike CF10 conical fermenter.

Thanks for all the suggestions. That kegmenter looks awesome!! Hopefully this thread gives others in this position some ideas!

I ordered two Chapman seven gallon fermenters with ball valves today. I plan on doing closed pressure transfers and putting 1.5 inch tri clamp bulkhead fittings in the lid holes.

Back