1 st time cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssuchem

Reaction score
Hello all so I am new to brewing. Me and my friend just bottled our first batch of beer and it is comming along lovely. I love cider so I figured I'd give it a shot. I pasturized 2 gallons of fresh juice and added 1 gallon of store bought juice . Then pitched with esperey yeast that was recommended by the brew shop I frequent . I added 2 cups of sugar. And well I'm not sure all is right. I mean its not really bubbling up top. Its foamy in the brew bucket and smells like bread kinda. But no airlock bubbles. Its been 3 days now. Is my batch doomed?

How big is your bucket? If it is a five gallon bucket it will take a while to build up enough co2 to show airlock activity. Also check to make sure you have a tight seal. Is it possible you are using espernay yeast rather than esperey? I googled it and espernay is a slow fermenter. Give it some more time. Since you noticed that it kinda smelled like bread, it's probably fermenting.

It is a 5 gallon bucket and it is on tight. Yeah sorry I messed up the spelling . I guess I'll just have to be patient. It is foamy on top so something appears to be going. Thank you for the advice

So I checked it again tonight. It is foaming more now and has a yeasty apple smell. I'm thinking its alright. Just probably gonna take awhile. How long do you reckon it would take? Guy at the brew shop said I could expect a 7 day fermentation but I'm thinking it might take more. Since its my 1 St cider I'm thinking just a simple still cider would be best. I'm worried about making exploding bottles: /

So I'm sorry if I'm kinda a newbie but I was wondering what's the best way to tell when my cider is done? Specific gravity? Taste? I plan on it being a still cider. I also plan on bottling in beer bottles. I wouldn't mind a sparkling but I'm afraid of bottle grenades. Its 2 gallons fresh apple juice and 64 oz. 100% juice. I added 2 cups sugar. Could I be OK making a sparkling cider then cold crashing it?

So I'm sorry if I'm kinda a newbie but I was wondering what's the best way to tell when my cider is done? Specific gravity? Taste? I plan on it being a still cider. I also plan on bottling in beer bottles. I wouldn't mind a sparkling but I'm afraid of bottle grenades. Its 2 gallons fresh apple juice and 64 oz. 100% juice. I added 2 cups sugar. Could I be OK making a sparkling cider then cold crashing it?

I would say for a first cider, make it still, and to chk the end of fermentation with a hydrometer. Easier this time, and you can start getting more creative with the next one! :)

Fyi, cold crashing will not stop fermentation. But, if you plan to drink it soon, that will save some sweetness in the short term.

OK cool I think I will take your advice. I actually started a second batch yesterday in a 1 gallon jug of juice I got from whole foods. I took 32 oz out plus 1 glass. I then added 32 oz of pure black cherry juice. And then pitched ale yeast. Woke up this morning and it is bubbling away. I really think I want to Carb this one. But this is more an experiment to gain experience hopefully it comes out well

well today i tested my first batch of cider. it was almost dead on at 1.000. guessing the fermentation happened i just never saw much of it. it tasted very acidic. so i back sweetened with 3 cans of concentrate and got a fg of 1.010 tasted pretty good. gonna let it sit for a couple days in the bottles then into the fridge. if i keep it in the fridge will fermentation go into hibernation like state. or do i have to pasturize it to stop it? . i plan to drink this fairly quickly so within the next couple of weeks.

well today i tested my first batch of cider. it was almost dead on at 1.000. guessing the fermentation happened i just never saw much of it. it tasted very acidic. so i back sweetened with 3 cans of concentrate and got a fg of 1.010 tasted pretty good. gonna let it sit for a couple days in the bottles then into the fridge. if i keep it in the fridge will fermentation go into hibernation like state. or do i have to pasturize it to stop it? . i plan to drink this fairly quickly so within the next couple of weeks.

Fridge it right away.

You can't stop fermentation just by cold crashing, only slow it down. Drinking it in the next few weeks (right from the fridge) should be fine though. Enjoy! :)

well i cracked my 1st bottle and damn this stuff is awesome, crisp and tart just like i like it, a but cloudy i think it will settle out. so should i just keep drinking them like this or could i pasturize them for longer life? also its nice and bubbly. it honestly reminds me of the blue label crispin cider i get in the store.

486092_10151490012768426_1442874103_n.jpg

You may have set the pectin when you pastuerized in the beginning. It may stay cloudy, which tastes fine, or you could try adding something to clear it up. I don't mind mine cloudy because they taste great and I get to drink them sooner. I agree with you that the carbonation makes them taste great. I had a batch that didn't carbonate well and we didn't enjoy it as much.

im fine with it being cloudy, doesnt look as pretty but still tastes really good. whoo i just stood up after drinking one and i do feel a bit warm hehe, guess it does have alcohol in it lol.

Latest posts

Back