1 oz of Simcoe-What to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingwood-kid

Reaction score
My LHBS had only 1oz of Simcoe in stock, which I bought. Any ideas for what to brew with it? I'm not committed to 5 gal, so feel free to pretend as though I have 2 or 3 oz. My other hops are Chinook. Columbus, Magnum, Crystal, Willamette, Apollo & Cascade. I'm happy with general suggestions as well as specific recipes. Thanks.

My initial reaction is that the Crystal would be overwhelmed by the other three hops. But perhaps not, in which case it might provide an interesting counterpoint. Do you have any suggestions on the amounts?

I recently grabbed the last oz of simcoe from my LHBS also. I brewed an IPA using magnum for the 60 minute addition, citra for all other additions and used the simcoe and 1 oz of citra for dry hopping. Simcoe is a great dry hop.

A lightly hopped AIPA or something like Midas Touch (0.25oz-0.5oz) would be good use of it. My favorite IPA uses Chinook/Simcoe as bittering and Cascade/Simcoe for flavor and aroma -- although it uses 2.25oz of Simcoe @ 7%. You might be able to scale it down a bit or use more of an alternate hop.

I did a new Belgium ranger clone witht this hop schedule.

1 1/2 chinook for 60
1/2 chinook for 30
3/4 cascade for 15
1/2 simcoe for 15
1/2 cascade for 0
3/4 cascade go dry hop
1/2 simcoe dry hop

I did a new Belgium ranger clone witht this hop schedule.

1 1/2 chinook for 60
1/2 chinook for 30
3/4 cascade for 15
1/2 simcoe for 15
1/2 cascade for 0
3/4 cascade go dry hop
1/2 simcoe dry hop

Do you have that recipe on Hopville -- how close was it? I was trying to clone Ranger with the schedule below but it turned out incredibly awesome but not really Ranger -- although I'd still like something more like Ranger in the future.

Ranger v1.1 Hop Schedule (needs a cooler name :p)

.75 Chinook @ 60
.75 Simcoe @ 60
.25 Chinook @ 30
.5 Simcoe @ 30
.25 Cascade @ 15
.5 Simcoe @ 15
.25 Cascade @ Flameout
.5 Cascade @ Dry hop 7 days
.5 Simcoe @ Dry hop 7 days

what about something less hoppy like a blonde?

would allow you to showcase the simcoe only using .5oz at say 20min and 0min and use something else to bitter

rhamilton said:
Do you have that recipe on Hopville -- how close was it? I was trying to clone Ranger with the schedule below but it turned out incredibly awesome but not really Ranger -- although I'd still like something more like Ranger in the future.

Mine was a kit from AHS. The thing about the kit was it came with no simcoe. I knew the beer used it and I had an ounce do I guessed. It was close. Not perfect but one of my favorite beers. Lasted 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back