1 or 2 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkscruff

Reaction score
I am a relative noob...Have done a few batches using Mr. Beer kits & fermenting bucket. I want to start brewing again, but dont have the space for 5 gallon batches. I also recently got a 1 gallon carboy, which came with some useful equipment (siphon tube, cane, thermometer, hydrometer, etc).

My question is how easy is it to make smaller batches using a 5 gallon kit? I am debating if I should use the 1 gallon carboy, or the 2 gallon Mr Beer bucket. I would siphon out of Mr. Beer into pot before bottling because I assume the spigot on Mr. Beer bucket is pretty bad for the beer. Also if I order a 5 gallon kit from Northern Brewer, can I save the unused LME?

Thanks - Any advice is very much appreciated.

IIRC, the only beer ingredient you shouldn't store for more than a day or two is MILLED grain. Other ingredients are fine to store.

Learn to re-pitch your yeast, b/c the price will add up if you buy more for every one gallon batch. :(

You can brew 2 gallon batches for MrB if you want, or brew a 2 gallon batch and put each gallon in a different 1 gallon carboy. One gallon is ~10.7 beers, so small batches are really best if you want to brew often, or brew a lot of different types, or if you don't drink much (1-2 beers a night).

A MrB is about a case of beer, so if you have a party coming up, use that guy.

One concern I would have about splitting a 5 gallon kit is the steeping grains. Northern Brewer puts all their steeping grains into one package so it might be difficult to divide. For one reason, unless the grains are mixed 100%, you will be get different ratios of grains in each batch. The second reason is that since the grains are already cracked. I believe their quality will deteriorate rapidly once the package is opened.

The LME and hops should keep reasonably well if they are stored properly. Seal the hops tightly and put in the freezer until you are ready to use them.

Also, you will need to get a kitchen scale so you can measure the ingredients.

Just a though here. But why not do the brew in a bag? Wouldn't cost you any more money, would be cheaper. Also gives you more room to play with brews. Also recycling centers have 1 gallon carboys (1 gallon wine bottles!!!!) and they are free. This is what I am doing instead of pulling the trigger on a big grain bill, and finding out I wish I had added something.

if yoau got one of the vacuum baggers it could help with the cracked grains seal em store em cool and dry and use them soon. i would do 2 gallons with this situation. i make 1.75 gallon batches. and i did a 1 gallon and uless you top off your carboy youll get10 beers but i only got 8 . i lwould clean that mr beer spigot real thourougly even if you rack and bottle your beers without it. I gave up on my 2 gallon botteling bucket i used for primary i liked racking from a spigotless vessel with the bottle filler attachement with 2 people its a breeze.theres a lot of hiding places for bacteria in spigots hard to clean and dry and they can leak. i lucked out and found 2 gallon glass jars for 5 bucks.

You can get buckets at home improvement stores, too. Two gallon bucket plus a lid ~$4.50, I think. Drill the top, add in a grommet (you can get it at the home improvement place too, but bring your airlock so you get the right size) and then you have a mini-bucket-fermentor.

I just started doing these small batches and it is great! You have more room for experimentation and you don't have to worry if you ruined a batch, because it's so cheap. It's also a good way to move to all grain. I use a 2 gallon igloo cooler with a driking spigot on the top. I fill it up with 4 lbs of grain strike water and slowly drain the water through the top. I run it through a mesh strainer into my kettle, then add more hot water to the grain. I let it settle for five minutes and restrain the rest of the water into my kettle. I just made up an imperial nut brown (10.7% abv), which may be the best beer I've made yet. It only yielded me 7 beers, but I could have gotten 8 if I didn't spill some. I just started washing my yeast, and if I do this again it will cost $6.50! Give it a try. Good luck!

its not too hard to scale down from 5 gallons only thing is you have leftovers that need to be stored correctly.I get anxioty about splitting up my dry yeast, from opening and storing it but havent had a problem yet- i think.
As far as storing extract dme is going to be easier. Although i may try lme out someday.DME is a little stronger than LME per gallon wise. I got a home depot leak tite paint bucket but have since found a 2 gallon glass jar.You may want to get a 3 gallon carboy to do half batches some day that would make those kits easy and you could experiment with diff. grains or hops as well.
I think if i end up doing all grain i may get a 3 gallon carboy. One gallon carboys are fine but after brewing again you may find yourself seeking a couple more one gallon carboys. Just a thought.

I use Brew in a Bag and it's by far the simplest AG method.

Also, isn't the Mr. Beer fermenter actually 3 gallons?

I brew 2.5 gallon batches all the time, and I've done a couple 5L batches (~1.32 gallons). Since you live in Brooklyn, there's gotta be a LHBS around. I'd recommend getting the grains local from them, so you don't have to worry about storing them or splitting them. That's what I do anyway. Might be a bit more expensive than ordering online, but it's much more convenient. And when you're brewing such a small size the price is minuscule anyway.

Also, I'd definitely recommend getting some brewing software. It is a lot easier to scale down a 5 gallon recipe using it than trying to do it by hand.

Also, I'd definitely recommend getting some brewing software. It is a lot easier to scale down a 5 gallon recipe using it than trying to do it by hand.

BrewTarget is a great choice (For a free / open source solution). I use this and it fits my needs. In addition it has a scaling tool to help with the recipe conversion.

There was a post on how to modify a 2.5 gallon Montana jar for fermentation.
At $20.00 from Target its a bargain. The original post was how to fit an airlock. Having used one the air lock is not needed, it works just fine, the vents in the seal let the pressure out just fine. Go ahead and fit an airlock if you have to have the bubble, bubble. I just wait for the foam to fall or ten days to call the yeastys done. the wide mouth will make taking samples easy or just sanitize the hydrometer and let it float till it shows FG.

The size is perfect for up to a 2.25 gal batch with plenty of head space. I stick to just a little over 2 gal myself as most batches are 1.070 or higher. I'm still trying fine tune my volumes for a solid case per brew day. I'm loving the versatility and now three batches fit in the same fridge space that a single carboy formerly occupied.

Latest posts

Back