1 Month in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog21

Reaction score
OK... Sunday will mark a full month in the bottles and I have tested two through that time. Last sample proved that the cider, or my newly discovered definition of "green" taste is diminishing but still a bit light on the carbonation. See picture for comparison; my brew on the left, Yuengling Traditional Lager on the right.

Planning on trying another one tonight to see how the we are progressing and planning my next batch as well; should be a bit easier now that I have my new carboy for secondary fermentation and a filter funnel for moving between boiler, primary and secondary...

Question: I put about 6 bottles in the fridge (my testing samples) and was curious if their being cold will affect or slow the carbonation process over those being stored at room temperature?

Thoughts/feedback??

IMG_0042.jpg

The average time is 3 weeks at 70°, and that'll get you where you need to be. What was the O.G.? Bigger beers usually need more aging then the smaller ones. It also depends on how much priming sugar you used, and if it got mixed well. I went to kegging cuz I could never get the carbonation right using priming sugar, but that's just me.... and the lack of a scale to measure out the sugar lol.

A scale is used as much in my brewery as my thermometers. Buying grains/hops in bulk mandates it, I suppose.

Your beer won't carb in the fridge. You can take them out of the fridge if you want to give them a chance at carbing. I recommend chilling one test bottle at a time for this reason.

After a month, the yeast should be done. Putting them in the fridge will allow the CO2 to more easily dissolve into the beer. Leaving them at room temperature though wont hurt them at all though

If you put it in the fridge to try to carb and condition them, it will take forever if it carbs at all. If you put the yeast to sleep which is what happens when you drop the yeast colder than it's dormancy temp, then how is it going to do anything for you? A sleeping yeast isn't going to be eating the sugar and farting co2, or cleaning up it's byproducts, is it?

I used a kit and used all the sugar that was provided. I dissolved it and let it get to room temp before mixing so I am assuming I used the correct amount and blended well.

This is my first batch so I goofed on the "pre" gravity reading so I am totally winging it on the gravity, next batch will be better.

I only put a few in the fridge about three weeks ago because I prefer cold beer :) and I thought I would have a few that were "ready", I was obviously wrong :)

I'll write off the three remaining from being in the fridge for three weeks but I did put a couple in this morning that had been sitting at ~70 degrees for a month, now I am hopeful they have had plenty of time to eat and fart me some bubbles!!!

Thanks guys!

Bro - throw a few that have been sittin' @ 70F in the fridge and you'll be rewarded -RDWHAHB!

Cheers!

Back