1 gallon polypin source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Harry Mason beer engine on its way over from England, and gearing up for finally doing my British ales as they're meant to be. I may eventually commit to a pin and breather, but for now, to get started, I'd like to go with 1 gallon polypins. Not seeing a source, though they're talked about a lot. Also, my corneys are a possibility but I like the simplicity of polypins. Anyone know of a source in the U.S.?

Not officially “polypin” but searched for 1 gallon water bladder or water cube so you can see options there with different openings/spigots

Cornelius kegs are available in 9 and 12 liter versions. Bigger than a gallon but with the ability to be fitted with a co2 "breather' or a low pressure regulator you can substantially pro-long the shelf life of your real ale.
@Peebee is a bit of an expert on the subject and could probably chime in with more than my own theoretical knowledge...

I'm using a mylar bag for my beer engine, they come in different sizes and I'm having 5 litres (a gallon). Attach a John guest fitting in the lid and it's ready for use!

Awesome, thanks guys, I've seen some options now in the collapsible bags. Wondering if to start I should just find out the way to use my corny (5 gallon). I also have a breather on the cart, though looking into the low-pressure regulator option as the breather is pricey and I'd appreciate not getting murdered in my sleep by SWMBO.

One of the reasons I wanted to split up the ale into smaller containers is to actually allow it to pick up some O2 over a few days. One British brewer I know just said, draw off whatever you want for the night into anything - even a pitcher - and use the engine for dispense.

Awesome, thanks guys, I've seen some options now in the collapsible bags. Wondering if to start I should just find out the way to use my corny (5 gallon). I also have a breather on the cart, though looking into the low-pressure regulator option as the breather is pricey and I'd appreciate not getting murdered in my sleep by SWMBO.

One of the reasons I wanted to split up the ale into smaller containers is to actually allow it to pick up some O2 over a few days. One British brewer I know just said, draw off whatever you want for the night into anything - even a pitcher - and use the engine for dispense.
Drawing off whatever you want then using the beer engine isn’t a terrible way to go - could be cool to compare a regularly carbonated version to its beer engine equivalent. BUT I suggest if you do draw from a pitcher or what have you through your beer engine you should pour it rough to remove some CO2 or you’ll just a foamy mess through your tap.

I fooled around with cubitainers for a while but these days I cask condition in a corny and use one of the propane regulators as a cask breather. I think a one gallon keg with the PRV open while you are serving through the beer engine would be fun to experiment with (until you start having to clean five kegs instead of one) but mostly I want to make a five gallon batch and have it last a while. Actually I’m thinking about switching to four gallon batches to make it easier to use as spunding valve as a “soft spile.”

These are the cubiainers I have used:
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=31622

Current setup:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...r-favorite-recipe.472464/page-68#post-9179999

@Peebee is a bit of an expert on the subject ...
Well, he is a bit of a something or other?

I'll throw my usual essay at it: Cask Conditioned HB

Somewhere in it is:

1713896372820.png

... which someone suggested to me. He doesn't use that setup no more, and I'm quite happy with Corny kegs and low pressure variable LPG regulators (Cleese) set at around 70-90mbar (ordinary gauges wont read this low, but someone pointed out replacement blood-pressure gauges will and are relatively cheap if you must have an indicator). They beat "breathers" which cost N-times more than LPG regulators (breathers are completely cr**, and won't work well with Corny kegs).

I don't think much of "polypins" either ... read the essay!

Back