1 Gallon Brewers: What does your brew day look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

incognitum

Reaction score
I'm a 5 gallon extract brewer, but haven't brewed a batch in the past six months. I hit a wall with my brewing where I realized I needed to invest in more equipment to yield higher quality beer. Immersion Chillers, Temperature Control, things like that. I just couldn't afford to buy the equipment.

I was brewing 5 gallon batches on a shoestring budget and it was affecting the quality of my beer. Since I didn't have an adequate way to control my fermentation temperatures during the hot summer months, I took a break from brewing and haven't resumed it yet.

I'd really like to brew a few new batches, but still don't want to invest in the equipment. I've been thinking of doing a few 1 gallon extract or maybe even all grain batches.

I was wondering how much time it takes to make up a 1 gallon batch?

I know a lot of people say it takes the same amount of time to make 5 gallons versus 3 or 1. But surely, it takes a lot less time to boil and cool 1.25 gallons of water. And doing such small batches doesn't require the same investment in equipment.

I'd like to do two batches at the same time, so I can actually get two entirely different beers done in the same session. Sure, its only two gallons, but its two totally different beers in one afternoon and that seems awesome to me.

So for you 1 gallon brewers, how long does it take you to boil 1.25 gallons of water? How long does it take to cool it to pitching temperatures? Do you do a full 60 minute boil or reduce that? Any tips, tricks or general ideas on brewing such small batches?

I'd like to have shorter brew days and brew more often. Maybe once a week. I know a one gallon batch doesn't seem like much, but if I could do it in a couple hours, it would be worth it. If I liked the beer, I can always scale the recipe up to 5 gallons.

Thanks!

I brew 1.5gal AG batches, with a traditional MLT (cooler) mashing typically 75-90min with a full 60min boil. Keep in mind I'm doing a lot of multitasking while brewing, and the guys that are doing BIAB 1gal recipes are definitely doing it in less time with less hardware. If you're looking at extract, you could definitely shave some time off in addition to building a base mash of 2.5gal, then steeping different grains in two pots to make two different beers at the same time.

I like my process, so I'm keeping it.

Times look as follows -
Water to strike temps: 15min
Mash: 75min
Mashout: 10min
Sparge: 15min
Boil: 15min + 60min
Whirlpool/Hopstand: 10-20min
Cooldown with homemade IC: 4min
Cleanup: 30min

So all said and done almost 4hrs including cleanup.

Again, if you're doing extract or BIAB you can shave some time off there but I believe that with AG you're going to be locked in for at least 3hrs, regardless.

I do brew once a week, and I love the time I get to do it. Getting ready to start another one here and mash over dinner.

That is interesting, I wondered how much time it would save. I usually do 10 gallons and it takes about 5 hours if I am careful with time. I could see the advantage of small batches time-wise. I started doing 5 gallons, and found 10 took me very close to the same amount of time.

Incognitum - if you have time, you will be amazed at what you can do on a shoestring budget.

Well, I was being liberal with the timing (sometimes less, sometimes more - you know how that goes), and heating is being done on an ancient coil top electric stove sans canning element. Either way, when you add up everything that happens in a brew day (provided you are actively cleaning and preparing other things while brewing, in addition to scrubbing the pot and cleaning up everything) I just can see an AG brew day being south of 3.5hrs.

Well, it could be, but I'd hate to think of what corners might be getting cut.

Hoping soon to go with either an element in pot or an induction unit, budget allowing. Either way, it takes time to heat water. In my case, 2.343gal to be exact.

Sum hit it pretty close...for me its an extra 10 minute hop stand and 10-15 minute longer boil. About 4 hours.

EDIT- The advantages are usually equipment-based. You can really do a 1 gallon with things lying around the house and a few items that are necessary at any level. No need for IC or even ice. Ice packs and salt water can get me down to what I need in as little as 10 minutes. Room-wise, you can easily stock your "equipment" in a small part of a closet at best.

I can do a one gallon extract batch in way under an hour from thinking about it to last piece of equipment clean and dry. Granted, it's pretty simple beer - 1 lb of extract, 1/2 oz. of hops, and a 15-minute boil.

I have a ~1 gal honey jar that I'll likely not be using for Star San that i had been using to wipe dishwasher beer glasses with anymore. I considered drilling a hole and adding a grommet, but when I typed in the numbers for a 0.8 gal batch I'd have to make an IPA or something else very hoppy to utilize 1 oz of hops.

How do you guys make lower IBU beers???

I have 2 food grade buckets I got from the grocery store's bakery that are ~2 gals (1.8 gal batch) and 3 Mr Beer fermentors. It seems the only way it would work out for me is to spare hops from these to do a tiny batch, but is it even worthwhile then? Maybe it's best to just leave it be and find another use for it.

I have a ~1 gal honey jar that I'll likely not be using for Star San that i had been using to wipe dishwasher beer glasses with anymore. I considered drilling a hole and adding a grommet, but when I typed in the numbers for a 0.8 gal batch I'd have to make an IPA or something else very hoppy to utilize 1 oz of hops.

How do you guys make lower IBU beers???

I have 2 food grade buckets I got from the grocery store's bakery that are ~2 gals (1.8 gal batch) and 3 Mr Beer fermentors. It seems the only way it would work out for me is to spare hops from these to do a tiny batch, but is it even worthwhile then? Maybe it's best to just leave it be and find another use for it.

I normally do 5 gallon batches or 2+ gallon batches in my Mr. Beer, but you can keep leftover hops (double wrapped in baggies) in the freezer for a fair amount of time. In fact gallon batches are a good way to use up leftover bits and pieces. But I don't hesitate to use 3/8 or 1/2 an oz of hops, then put the rest of the oz in the freezer. Just take it out the day or a few hours before to warm back up.

Only thing I've done 1 gal batches of is mead, but that can't really compare, as brewing beer takes a lot more time, regardless of size .... 1 gallons are fun for experiiments. 1 gallon of beer is a lot of work for a lil beer.....1 gallon of mead is not much work for a funky experiment (and still, a lil mead...for better or worse, the worst being the wait for it to age)

I've been opposed to holding hops for more than a couple of weeks as it's become oxidized, isn't perfectly sealed, and I have no idea how it's being effected. If only I had a more definitive source on hop life...

I have a coffee bag that I bought from MoreBeer, but they told me afterwards that it wouldn't likely do all that great for longer term storage as I was buying 1/2 lb packages of hops.

I have wondered about using the vacuum sealer, and whether or not I could reuse the package the hops came in, though it seems unnecessary.

So far the 2 BIAB brews (2gallons) I have done took about 3hrs including clean up. Probably did not need to mash for the full 60min with the finer crush but I did for simplicity.

With 1 gallon extract (no steeping grains) a 15min boil is plenty and you will be about 1-1.5hrs (I add a little dextrin for body). You can save money on hops by extending the boil longer just remember to increase the pre-boil volume.
Brewtoad can help with recipe formulation and IBU estimation.

I do 1 gallon batches AG, BIAB no sparge on a fairly regular basis. For about 1.25 gal we start by getting 2 gallons to mash temp, takes about 20-30min. Mash in and throw it in the oven for 60min, which is probably more than necessary for conversion. Get it back to boil, about 10 min, and then boil for an hour. Cool, and done in about 3 hours and we only use one 12qt pot. As you mentioned, the processes are the same, you're just using less volume. So you're saving time on volume based steps like heating and cooling. Obviously if you wanted to iodine test and use a fine crush I've seen people say they get full conversion in 10min. Or if you do full extract, you can skip the mash step no matter how long it takes and go to boiling.

For hops, we regularly do .25-.5 oz, and save them in freezer bags. We have a FoodSaver that works as well, but not on all the baggies. It depends on the brand.

How long are you guys willing to keep them in the freezer after being opened?

I know that different hops degrade at different rates, but is there a rule of thumb with types or some such?

I like numbers. I don't need to be exact, but I don't like for it to be a great unknown either. This is why I'm not usually willing to go beyond a few weeks. The loss is likely minimal and I make note that they've been opened.

I don't know if there is a definite answer for this, I keep them around 6 months. The cold should slow the spoilage process significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have heard different thoughts from both on-line and in person.

Some say vacuum packed and in the freezer 1-2 years no problem. One year is as far I will go.

I wish there was something to see where someone tested this. I'd not be too happy with it sitting 6 months or even longer.

I vacuum seal my hops and then put them in a cooler bag that has a large ice pack in it. That goes in my freezer - the placement in the cooler bag with the ice pack is to protect the hops from the regular cycling of our freezer. It more closely imitates a deep freezer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

How long are you guys willing to keep them in the freezer after being opened?

I know that different hops degrade at different rates, but is there a rule of thumb with types or some such?

I like numbers. I don't need to be exact, but I don't like for it to be a great unknown either. This is why I'm not usually willing to go beyond a few weeks. The loss is likely minimal and I make note that they've been opened.

http://beersmith.com/hop-list/

Click on any hop to get the hop storage index. I highly recommend beersmith. I also recommend a food saver to reseal larger amounts of hops.

We have a Food Saver. I'm just not sure how well it works. My understanding is when they seal these from the factory it's been flushed with nitrogen as well.

We have a Food Saver. I'm just not sure how well it works. My understanding is when they seal these from the factory it's been flushed with nitrogen as well.

True...but its better than nothing. Just buy hops in 1 ounce packages. That is what I do. Use the whole package during the brew process and no worries

It's what stopped me from buying some of my hops in the 1/2 lb packages. And I like a discount!

Rod - I would guess that there is not an exact answer as the chemistry is complex, and each hop will have different ratios of compounds. Plus there seems to be a difference with bittering and aroma hops. There are lots of references online to oxidation products which seem to be the primary threat to freshness. It seems that some of these are detectable such as isovaleric acid which is the cheese smell. I suggest you smell your hops, that should be a decent guide to freshness.

Hop age prompted the recipes I decided to make as many of my hops came to my door in late '12! All smelled OK though…

what about prior to the smell and any loss of AA's?

Did a 1 gallon all grain batch today in four hours. 1 hour mash. 1 hour boil.

Although I am a beginner and probably could be more efficient with more experience.

Did a 1 gallon all grain batch today in four hours. 1 hour mash. 1 hour boil.

Although I am a beginner and probably could be more efficient with more experience.

I've done two AG batches now with one hour mash and boil. The first was 4 hours and the second was about 3.5 hours. I think I can get it down to 3-3.25 hours with practice and experience. Our stove heats things up pretty quickly and our sink is a pretty good size, so the ice bath works quickly to cool the wort. After watching some friends go through a 5 gallon brew day, I appreciate the simplicity of 1 gallon brewing :).

FWIW . . .

The Basic Brewing guys have been looking into how long it takes to brew 1-gallon batches. They just did a video -- "Speedy All Grain Stout" -- where they timed their brew day. It was a pretty quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bitterness also declines in beer, and presumably in stored hops - but 6 months frozen should be fine. I was thinking today that the pellet structure will also help protect the hop, you can tell the difference with the surface as soon as you break one open.

FWIW . . .

The Basic Brewing guys have been looking into how long it takes to brew 1-gallon batches. They just did a video -- "Speedy All Grain Stout" -- where they timed their brew day. It was a pretty quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_MYSi5Vgzg

That was a good episode. They also have a couple of 1-gallon extract batch shows that come in under 45 minutes.

I like the 'casts a lot, but Steve Wilkes drives me crazy sometimes adding chilis and fruit to everything. Call me old fashioned, but I like beer-flavored beer. Looks like he can cook up a storm, though.

That was a good episode. They also have a couple of 1-gallon extract batch shows that come in under 45 minutes.

I watched that episode and read your earlier comment. So, I went to the LHBS today and bought some amber DME, some cascade hops and I'm going to try to come up with something decent in under an hour with a 15 minute boil and 20 g of hops. Should be interesting, if nothing else.

Back