1 gallon BIAB wheat thing critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainbutter

Reaction score
For my first venture into all-grain, I thought I would do two things:
1) keep it simple
2) use some ingredients I have on hand already
3) not follow any recipe to the T, but do something kinda like an American Wheat beer.

I don't really know what this beer will turn out like, but I can't imagine it'll be anything other than yummy unless I'm making some really stupid mistakes. That's where you guys come in I hope. Right now, I'm looking more for validation that this will turn out to be beer, and I probably won't be disappointed as long as I'm not trying to replicate anything specific.

With that intro, here's my idea, let me know what you guys think!

Grains:
- Briess Pale Ale Malt - 1lb
- Rahr White Wheat - 1lb
- Briess Carapils Malt - 0.2lbs
- all crushed to .03'' in my hand crank mill

Hops:
- Hallertau Hop Pellets - .2oz 60 min boil
- Hallertau Hop Pellets - .2oz at flameout, <5min

Mash:
- Water/grain ratio of 1.5Qt (3.3Qt tap water from the Washington DC water system, treated with tiny amount of campden to remove chlorine/chloramine.. debating about making mineral adjustments)
- Strike temp - 163ish*F
- Rest temp - 152ish*F 60 minutes in a preheated but "off" oven

Boil:
- top off the collected wort with treated water to 1.5g total in the kettle.
- 60 min total boil, with .2oz Hautaller hop additions at the beginning, and again when taking the kettle off the heat at the end
- adjust to ~1.25 gallon if necessary with a slightly longer boil, or topping off if boiloff was more than anticipated

Fermentation:
- half package rehydrated US 05 yeast
- throw the fermenter in a closet where the room temperature is around 65*F and let it sit for three weeks

Bottling:
- .8oz corn sugar added to bottling kettle
- rack beer from fermenter to kettle
- siphon primed beer from kettle to bottles, cap, and condition somewhere a little warmer for however long it takes

Thoughts?

Back