1 dry yeast packet for 10 gals??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
im a few mins from brewing and realized I’m down to my last packet of US-05. Is this enough cells for a 10 gal batch?

Depends on OG. Right off the hand I’d say it’s not enough. Anything over 1.060 and I pitch 2 packs in 5 gallons. It’s cheap yeast.

Unless it's an extra wimpy session brew, one pack of US-05 is an underpitch for 10 gallons. I'd go ahead, hydrate it properly and pitch it - then scoot to the lhbs and grab another sachet...

Cheers!

welp, I pitched 1 packet and measured it out in half using my scale and pitched a half a packet per 5 gals of wort. my OG was 1.048 so we'll see what happens.....both are bubbling away. I suspect everything will be just fine as always!

US-05 in many of my early 10g batches. Two satchets is minimum with no starter.

My opinion.

Brulosophy did an underpitch vs overpitch experiment.....no one could tell a difference....it just took two days longer to finish. Which I did notice instead of the typical 12 hrs to get bubbling away, this time it took 24 hrs......its bubbling hardcore now, it'll be fine

welp, I pitched 1 packet and measured it out in half using my scale and pitched a half a packet per 5 gals of wort. my OG was 1.048 so we'll see what happens.....both are bubbling away. I suspect everything will be just fine as always!

Ya no worries, especially with 05. It e'll be beer!

Ever notice nobody ever notices any differences in those "experiments"?

Cheers!

There are some that do come back with a significant result, but you're right in that most don't. Here's my take on it, and one that's often echoed on their podcasts if you ever listen to them. If you make "A" mistake, in this case underpitch, and the rest of your process is pretty locked down, the beer will probably be fine, and may come out great. Now if you underpitch, use poorly handled hops, do zero aeration, have poor temperature control, and introduce a ton of oxygen at packaging, it might not be a winner. I've not let their findings stop me from trying my best, but I don't freak out if one area of the process is not perfect.

EDIT - Zmann got his response in while I was typing, but case in point.

Good point. Ya I make sure everything els is perfect for sure! I just wasn’t going to cancel my brew day because I was one packet short

IT CAME OUT FANTASTIC!

FCD2F6EC-9860-46ED-A384-1618B8322C42.jpeg

No I haven't brewed this one before but I can say I've brewed probably 50 batches of beer the last few years and I can say this is one of the cleanest and freshest tasting ones I've had that was "freshly tapped". Usually those first few glasses fresh out of the keg seem overly cloudy and put off some flavors that need to die down with a few weeks of cold conditioning but this batch was amazing out of the first glass!

IMO if your batch is around 1.05 OG or lower, 1 dry packet of yeast is plenty of cells. But use a scale to accurately divide the yeast between your two fermenting vessels if you're using 5 gal ones

Back