1 campden tablet for 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
If I added one campden tablet to my 4 gallons of water is that too much? Will my brew be ok ?

I crushed it and let it sit for about 1 hour before starting the steep and boil....

what are you using it for? by the math, if the recomended is 1 for 5, and you are doing 1 for 4, then you are high by 25%. Butagain it depends on what you are doing.

To dissipate chlorine and chloramine, the "dosage" is something like one campden tablet per 20 gallons. So, yes, that's a lot of sulfite. It should dissipate but I'm no chemist so I can't say for sure what sort of effect it will have.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of pumpkin ale - thanks guys if anyone knows for sure I would really like to know...
won't make this mistake again - I was told to use one tab for a batch obviously bad advise.

:)

Mike

Doesn't boiling force off Sulfates? I know that in wines, it is considered 'disipated' after 24 hours of normal temps air exposure. Wiki comments that in the present of clorine that sulfates disipate rapidly. and should have no effect on flavor, and kills 'wild' yeast... since we use un wild yeast....

I cut mine in half, put each half in a zip-loc bag and crush them. One half goes into my strike water and the other half goes into the sparge water (~10 gallons) overnight. I guess you could cut the pill into fourths.

oasisbliss said:
If I added one campden tablet to my 4 gallons of water is that too much? Will my brew be ok ?

I crushed it and let it sit for about 1 hour before starting the steep and boil....

You can always taste your water after adding campden and salts to see if the taste is good.

Back