1.5 gal. Torpedo Ball Lock vs. 1.75 Cannonball or other?....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneFeather

Reaction score
I am very tight for space and can only dispense kegs year round, out of a shared mini fridge. I am looking at the 1.5 gallon Torpedo or the 1.75 cannonball kegs. Please leave and thoughts, experiences, or other suggestions you may have. Just for some background I do have 3 pin locks, but only dispense in the winter months from a crawl space.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-kegs.html?variant=KEG421&gclid=COyglsHaq9ICFQGraQodoCkK3A

http://www.northernbrewer.com/draft-brewer-mini-keg?gclid=CKCCpaTZq9ICFcm2wAodcKoBXg

Thanks

Thanks. They look like the way to go. If I could find something, I would even consider a smaller keg, but these seem to be the smallest corny kegs I can find.

I own two torpedo 1.5 gallon kegs, one purchased and one gift. I would NOT buy them again due to the extremely poor quality of the units delivered. I think I posted this somewhere else but they would not hold any pressure and it is not worth the hassle to make them work. One was so bad that there was no amount of fiddling that would get the lid to seal. CO2 rushed out as it was going in.

Others have had better success.

Morebeer's customer service was very good.

I would highly recommend the 2.5 gal kegs from adventures in homebrewing if you have the space. They are actually cheaper (on sale) and much better quality.

I own two torpedo 1.5 gallon kegs, one purchased and one gift. I would NOT buy them again due to the extremely poor quality of the units delivered. I think I posted this somewhere else but they would not hold any pressure and it is not worth the hassle to make them work. One was so bad that there was no amount of fiddling that would get the lid to seal. CO2 rushed out as it was going in.

Others have had better success.

Morebeer's customer service was very good.

I would highly recommend the 2.5 gal kegs from adventures in homebrewing if you have the space. They are actually cheaper (on sale) and much better quality.

I have heard a couple complaints about sealing but have never experienced it my self I have 3 1.5 and 2 2.5 gallon kegs. There are about a half dozen other people in my club that have them as well.

I assume they had a bad run at some point. As with all products from China this seems somewhat inevitable.

On a sidenote the AIH are never actually cheaper because they manipulate their pricing based upon their sales. If they ever have free shipping the cost of the kegs go up in whenever the cost of the kegs goes down you still have to pay shipping which always bring the price right back in line with the morebeer kegs.
Maybe if you're lucky and time it right you can save a dollar or two.

I'm sure the AIH kegs are good quality and worth it. The stackability, size, and full metal construction (no rubber boot / handle) of the slimline torpedoes are all things I value.

FWIW I have 2 of the Torpedo 2.5 gallon kegs and I really like them. I have found that if I put the lid in one direction they might leak, but if I turn it around it seals better.

I like that they stack. I have an upright fridge for a kegerator and I can fit 4 of these in there in place of the regular 5 gallon kegs. This gives some flexibility in how many flavors of beer I can serve.

how much vertical space do you have in your kegerator? I'd say either one of those kegs would work well, but the answer might be in how many you can fit in your space.

For me I think 2.5 gallons is the smallest I'd want to go with unless I had kegs just for taking to parties.

On a sidenote the AIH are never actually cheaper because they manipulate their pricing based upon their sales. If they ever have free shipping the cost of the kegs go up in whenever the cost of the kegs goes down you still have to pay shipping which always bring the price right back in line with the morebeer kegs.
Maybe if you're lucky and time it right you can save a dollar or two.

Generally agree, but I just got one on sale with free shipping.
So it was cheaper, more capacity (user dependent advantage) and is much higher quality.

You do need to keep an eye out and be opportunistic.

I have 10 7/8" on the bottom shelf of the mini fridge. Either one will work. With a mini regulator and a small tap I will be able to get at least one flavor on tap.

I sure love my 1.75 cannonballs. 10.5" tall, about 8.5" wide. Could easily fit four of them on the bottom shelf of my typical size fridge.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 211
Actually a 10lb tank outside the fridge. I've been just charging them as needed, but been meaning to drill a hole in the fridge for the CO2 line. I've got three of them now and have had no problems with any of them.

Actually a 10lb tank outside the fridge. I've been just charging them as needed, but been meaning to drill a hole in the fridge for the CO2 line. I've got three of them now and have had no problems with any of them.

Thanks. I am planning on natural/sugar carbonation and use Mini regulator with co2 cartridge to serve.

Latest posts

Back