1/32 din pid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPSquared

Reaction score
I talked to Kal (theelectricbrewery.com) and he said he chose the PID that he did from Auber because of the Fuzzy Logic and Manual mode.

I don't have a clue what "Fuzzy Logic" means other than it's more precise maybe?

I hope to be able to use the 1/32 DIN PID from Auber as a temp controller in the eBIAB control panel I'm building. I don't really have the real estate for the 1/16 DIN PID, so the little guy would be nice if it performs the same.

It will be used in conjunction with a PWM that I'm building so I don't need the manual mode, but I don't know if the lack of "Fuzzy Logic" would pose a problem as far as a solid control for mash temps etc.

I will probably use a cheap ebay copy to monitor temps when using the PWM, and then use the Auber to control temps for the mash.

I know all the gizmos are probably excessive for a simple electric boil kettle, but I quite enjoy building all these toys and it just looks cool to have a bunch of dials and switches. . .

So, anyone know why the 1/32 DIN PID from Auber wouldn't work for this purpose and how much different it would be from the 1/16 PID that is so popular on here for control panels?

Thanks for any and all advice.

If you are just using it for PID control it should work just the same. But if manual control is a concern why not incorporate everything into one unit. How tiny is your control panel?

I already have a PWM setup. I like the ease of the PWM and I have room in my existing box for the 1/32 DIN for mash temp control.

Im trying to fit everything into a Pelican 1200 case. I already had the case and it's a nice size for portability. I'm almost sure I can squeeze everything I need into it. Just the 1/32 DIN, the PWM dial, a few lights (smaller LED's), and some switches. Getting a piece of aluminum CNC'd to fit in the recess in the Pelican Case.

Just a way to keep my panel protected and compact. I just don't see the point of having this great big panel when the whole point of a single vessel eBIAB is to save space.

I want the functionality of a PID but really only need to set a temp and wait.

KPSquared said:
I talked to Kal (theelectricbrewery.com) and he said he chose the PID that he did from Auber because of the Fuzzy Logic and Manual mode. I don't have a clue what "Fuzzy Logic" means other than it's more precise maybe? I hope to be able to use the 1/32 DIN PID from Auber as a temp controller in the eBIAB control panel I'm building. I don't really have the real estate for the 1/16 DIN PID, so the little guy would be nice if it performs the same. It will be used in conjunction with a PWM that I'm building so I don't need the manual mode, but I don't know if the lack of "Fuzzy Logic" would pose a problem as far as a solid control for mash temps etc. I will probably use a cheap ebay copy to monitor temps when using the PWM, and then use the Auber to control temps for the mash. I know all the gizmos are probably excessive for a simple electric boil kettle, but I quite enjoy building all these toys and it just looks cool to have a bunch of dials and switches. . . So, anyone know why the 1/32 DIN PID from Auber wouldn't work for this purpose and how much different it would be from the 1/16 PID that is so popular on here for control panels? Thanks for any and all advice.

I'm certainly not an expert on PID controls but I did have a similar question last year when building my set up. The best I could figure was that fuzzy logic allows precise control of different amounts of water, whereas PIDs without it are more tuned to a specific volume of water. So say you always always always fill your HLT with exactly 15 gallons of water, the non-fuzzy logic PID will heat up and hold to precise temp that volume of water very reliably once tuned. But when you attempt that with a different amount of water the PID will overshoot or undershoot temps. Fuzzy logic controllers will compensate on the fly for different water volumes.

I'm sure that technically speaking I'm way off. But that's my understanding. I was having problems with control temps until I went out and bought a new PID with fuzzy logic. Both were Auber and very very similar models. But the one with fuzzy logic worked much better.

If that's that case, then I might have to make room for the larger PID. With full volume mash and my ebiab set up, there are huge swings in volume of water. I guess it's only a little bigger...

According to a reply I just got from Auber, the smaller PID will work perfectly for my plans! That is very good news. I think as long as my RTD probe is in the keg and not in a thermowell (faster response) it will be perfect.

Hopefully run two probes through a switch then to the PID. One for mashing and the other in line at the output of my CFC. Then all my temps will be able to be monitored on the panel.

Back