1/2” locknut soldered to kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renthispace

Reaction score
I'm going to be building an e-biab rig and want to silver solder everything. I was planning on soldering a 1/2" spud for the drain valve, but realize now that the spud only allows something to be screwed in on the outside of the kettle.

I plan on using a plate chiller on my new setup and really want to filter the wort well before it reaches the chiller. I plan on using a hop screen, but am also thinking of installing a stainless steel braid on the inside of the kettle to further filter the hot break and hop sludge that passes through the screen.

So that leads me to my question. I was thinking of soldering a 1/2" locknut to the outside of the kettle (straight thread) and then screw a npt nipple into it so that I could install a valve on the outside and the threaded braid on the inside.

Will this work? I'm really not sure about how well the different type of threads will work together. I don't need a leak proof seal for the braid, only for the locknut and ball valve. Obviously I will be using Teflon tape but its hard to know if this combo will work without having the parts in my hands.

I think you are better off using the dimple process for soldering a coupler in. Check the soldering stainless steel thread stickied in the diy forum.

Or solder in a hex nipple. I'm pretty sure stainlessbrewing has them on the site.

Ya I was trying to get away from dimpling a coupler in. Didn't think of soldering a hex coupler, I would only worry about the solder wicking its way into the threads. I suppose the hex part could be on the outside and I could place the solder on the inside. I doubt the whicking would travel up the threads to the point I couldn't screw in the ss braid.

In fact, this really seems like a great option. Obviously have to be careful and counter torque the hex part when tightening valve assembly so I don't shear the soldered connection.

Back