1.083 OG = No starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementArtie

Reaction score
I tend to use dry yeast because I can't be assed to make a starter for higher gravity beers and the outcomes are pretty good still so I never really gave it much thought.

However I've just see the brulosophy pitched a single pouch of Imperial Capri at 19C in wort with an OG of 1.083. Brü It Yourself | Good Intentions Double IPA I've seen them pitch single pouches in 1.070 plus before thinking that's pushing it however this got me thinking if it's now deemed okay to pitch a single pouch in higher gravity brews then I may switch across and give it a try.

What are your thoughts?
And what do you think the upper limit OG a single pouch could be?

However I've just see the brulosophy pitched a single pouch of Imperial Capri at 19C in wort with an OG of 1.083. Brü It Yourself | Good Intentions Double IPA I've seen them pitch single pouches in 1.070 plus before thinking that's pushing it however this got me thinking if it's now deemed okay to pitch a single pouch in higher gravity brews then I may switch across and give it a try.

It's worth noting that Imperial pouches start off (nominally) with 200B yeast cells, compared with the 100B for Wyeast/White Labs.

That said, I would not recommend doing anything just because Brulosophy does it. An Imperial pouch's 200B cells (minus what has died off in the package, generally, within reason) will ferment 5 gallons of that 1.083 wort, i.e. it will make beer. But IMO it would be underpitching a bit, but not too severely if the yeast is fairly fresh.

Underpitching (in general) carries risks, including:

- high esters
- high fusel alcohols
- under-attenuation
- high diacetyl
- high sulfur compounds (particularly in lagers)
- high acetaldehyde

Some, none, or all of the above may happen with any given underpitched batch.

Latest posts

Back